The General content content type is one of the most widely used. It's designed for use on Content pages, giving editors the ability to add information to their pages using a variety of formatting tools.
Offering similar functionality to standard text editors, like Microsoft Word, it is likely to be the most commonly used of all our content types, and should be used for standard page content. How to add a content type.
The text editor
This is the full set of buttons applicable to General content content type. The editor options change depending on the content type selected.
Top row from left to right
- Paste as Plain text
- Paste from Word - you must use this option when importing text from Word.
- Format - this dropdown allows you make create Headings from text.
Second row from left to right
- Insert section link - use this tool to create links from one t4 page to another
- Bullet lists - unordered (bullets like this list)
- Bullet lists - ordered (numbered bullet points)
- External link tool - create any link from a t4 page to any other
- The anchor tool is not working correctly and shouldn't be used
- Insert an image (see Images below)
- Horizonal rule
- Document upload - for adding pdfs, Word, PowerPoint files etc.
- Embed a movie - you can add YouTube, Panopto, Vimeo and the College iMedia system
- Special character set
- Add a Pull quote or a Block quote
- Table wizard
This row contains the tools to add rows and columns to a table. It's only live when you've clicked in a table cell
Give it a try
1. Add a General content content type to your section (Find out how to add a Content type)
2. A form and editor will appear. Fill in the 'Name' field so you can identify your Content type (this can be a name of your choice). Fill in the 'Title' field - this is the title that will appear on your page.
3. Add content to your editor
|Field title||What should I do?||Is it compulsory?|
|Name*||This name will appear behind the scenes and needs to clear and concise so any other editors can quickly identify the content type they need to edit from all the others on the page||Yes|
|Title||This field adds an optional Heading 2 immediately after the Section (page) title||No|
|Main body||This contains the text editor (see below) where you can add content, eg text, images, document links, videos etc., to the page.||Yes|
4. Click Add & Approve to save