Creating news articles
This Web Skills module on uploading news will give you an overview of the College News system.
It explains you how to get a news feed set up and how to add articles to it.
Uploading news menu
Difference between Main College News and Department News
Imperial College News
The main site features include:
- Sections arranged by topic
- Latest news
- In the Media
- Most popular
- Social Media and sharing
- Local news feed
Department staff can create the article and are encouraged to share local news, awards and report on events. The main features include:
- Can appear in main News site.
- Social media and sharing.
- Link to other articles or web sites.
Getting a news feed
Uploading a news article
- Make sure you are logged in to the Imperial website.
- Go to your Department News page.
- Click More News at the bottom of the page.
- Click add new article at the top of the page.
- This will bring up the News Editor.
Before you upload
- The text
- Good image(s)
- Headline (max 80 characters)
- Teaser (max 25 characters)
- Summary (max 150 characters)
Top tip always have the text in a word document first and get someone to check it for you.
A note on images
- use intensively labelled diagrams.
- use multiple graphs.
- use obscure objects.
- people looking away from camera.
- use group portraits, for example, people displaying awards.
- use portraits, including research action shots.
- use close ups of equipment or experiments.
- use the Digital image library.
- use a simple diagram or graph.
- use images people can relate to.
Find out more about taking or finding good images for online content.
What goes where? Key information
1. Add a title (headline max 80 characters) and summary (max 150 characters):
2. Add a teaser (max 25 characters) this can appear on your image, in the latest news sidebar or in the columns:
3. Add an image, varying sizes are used across the site:
4. The image crop tool requires you to upload only one photo, but you must use that one image to create all the varying thumbnails, use the blue arrows to move through each screen:
5. Add the authors name.
What goes where? Categorisation
1. Select a category to determine where your article will appear on the main News site:
2. Select a subcategory and add tags:
3. Select if the article is a news story or a feature (features are normally longer pieces of writing):
What goes where? Links
1. Nominate related College stories:
2. Add related external links: 3. Add related multimedia, like videos:
4. Add media mentions:
Publish dates, add a funder or supporter
1. Add a publish date:2. Add funders and supporters: