Do you have imposter feelings?
- Do you feel like a fake?
- Do you attribute your success to luck?
- Do you downplay success and discount it, for example by saying ‘it is not a big deal’?
It is very common to have some of these feelings, particularly with the values, expectations and social environment at Imperial.
There are steps you can take to reduce these feelings and cope with them:
- Talk about it – discuss your feelings with a friend. You are likely to discover you are not alone.
- Identify the feelings – notice when you are thinking of yourself as an imposter and how that makes you feel.
- Do your own reality check – challenge your assumptions and understand the difference between feelings and reality. It can help to list your skills, qualities and accomplishments.
- Learn to accept compliments and praise – try to resist giving a negative response, and instead let successes or praise sink in.
Feeling Like an Imposter at Work - a podcast from Scientists not the Science exploring imposter syndrome in academia.