Rent Guarantor Scheme
What is the Rent Guarantor Scheme?
A guarantor agrees to guarantee the payment of your rent to a landlord/agent in the event that you cannot. Many landlords require a UK-based guarantor, meaning that some international students who do not have access to a UK-based guarantor may encounter difficulties.
To support this, the College can act as a UK-based guarantor for Imperial undergraduate students who may require this service when securing rental of private accommodation up to the value of £250 per week, per person. Please read the Terms & Conditions of the scheme here.
The Rent Guarantor Scheme is now closed. It will reopen again for applications in 2020.
How does the scheme work?
- The scheme is run by the Student Hub team
- Students interested will be required to complete an online application form and upload the requested evidence online.
- The Student Hub team will assess each application against eligibility criteria and inform you of a decision within 3 - 5 working days of submission
- Successful applicants will be contacted by the Student Hub team and required to pay £60 administration fee (including VAT) before the start of any paperwork. Successful applicants will be required to sign a Student Reimbursement Agreement with the College and get their landlord to sign the College’s Landlord Rent Guarantor Agreement
Am I eligible?
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- You have been requested to provide a UK-based guarantor by a landlord
- You are a full time registered undergraduate student (not first year) at Imperial and are full time registered throughout the term of your tenancy/licence agreement
- You cannot find an alternative UK-based guarantor. This Scheme should be used as a last resort and only if you have exhausted all other options to find a suitable UK-based guarantor
- You have no outstanding academic or non-academic debts to the College
- You can provide a satisfactory reference from a previous landlord or private hall of residence. References from College accommodation will be sought directly by the Student Hub
- You can show you have the funding to pay your rent
- You haven’t already signed a tenancy/licence agreement with a landlord
Applications are not open to Postgraduate Students. We recommend that PG students looking for a rent guarantor use alternative services such as Housing Hand (details of which can be found at Imperial Home Solutions)
You must also show that the property you wish to rent meets the following criteria:
- The tenancy/licence agreement must be checked by and meet the standards of the Student Hub
- The landlord must be able to provide a current gas safety certificate for the property if applicable
- Your proportion of the rent on the property doesn’t exceed £250 a week. For joint or shared tenancies, the College will act as guarantor for each named student’s share of the rent up to a maximum of £250 a week each
How to apply
The Rent Guarantor Scheme is now closed. Applications will reopen in 2020.