Buckingham Palace

Travelling to London

How do I travel to Imperial in the Autumn?

If you are travelling from certain countries you may be required to self-isolate for 14 days on arrival in the UK. Please refer to the UK Government guidance on this requirement. It is your responsibility to check if you are required to self-isolate and to follow the UK Government guidance carefully. All travellers to the UK are also required to provide your journey and contact details before you travel by completing this online form.  

What if I need a visa?

The Visas and immigration student website has detailed information and FAQs for students with questions about their visa status due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.

Trained immigration advisers in the International Student Support Team at the College can provide specific advice and guidance about your UK immigration status. For more information please visit the Visas and Immigration advice for students page or email international@imperial.ac.uk.

Travelling in London

How will I travel around London safely?

It is compulsory to wear a face covering on public transport in England. Face coverings must be worn for the full duration of journeys on the public transport network, including inside stations.Face coverings should cover both your mouth and nose. You can find the latest advice on public transport on the Transport for London website.

Whilst public transport is running, we recommend that you consider cycling or walking. If you have your own bicycle, we offer cycle parking at all Imperial campuses.  

Within London, the borough councils in which Imperial is located (Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, Hammersmith and Fulham) are all planning to increase facilities and road space for cycling and walking, as part of transport measures to reduce the use of public transport and avoid the roads becoming congested with cars.  

  • You can find out what Westminster City Council are doing.
  • The London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has recently announced new measures to support people to walk and cycle to work, including speed restrictions, traffic-free streets and new and improved cycleways. See their news page for more information
  • The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham have introduced new segregated cycle lines, you can read about it on their website.

How will I get to College if I’m in a hall in North Acton?

Due to its location, residents in North Acton will likely be required to take public transport. Face coverings must be worn for the full duration of journeys on the public transport network, including inside stations.  Face coverings should cover both your mouth and nose.  You can find the latest advice on public transport on the Transport for London website.

Alternatively, you will also be able to cycle to South Kensington, which takes between 35-50 minutes. This will be clearly advertised during the accommodation application process and students will have a range of options that are also available within walking distance to South Kensington. 

Will I be permitted to travel to other campuses?

As long as safety guidelines and protocols are observed, you will be able to travel between campuses.

More advice will be available on arrival, if not before, as we develop our policies and procedures. 

Will I be able to use and park a car, if I don’t want to use public transport?

There are limited car parking spaces on our campuses. More information can be found on our car parking pages.

Can I park my motorcycle on campus?

There are restrictions on who can park their motorcycle on South Kensington campus, you can find more information on our motorcycle parking pages.

Can I cycle around London?

You can find out more about cycling in London on the TfL website and specific routes for travelling to our South Kensington campus and cycling facilities on campus.

London life

Will I be able to go to theatres, concert halls and museums?

You can now watch arts performances al fresco, with outdoor theatres, dance, music and opera allowed to return to the stage. However, indoor theatres and concert halls aren’t able to stage live performances, and many places may not be ready to open their doors.

Museums and galleries across London are allowed to open, however, many have not yet reopened, so make sure to check direct with the venue before heading out.

Will pubs and bars be open?

Pubs, bars, restaurants and cafes are now permitted to repoen, with a number of strict new rules in placeWhen visiting, expect to see safety measures such as widely spaced tables, queuing systems, safety signage, table service, handwashing stations and contactless payments.

What else is there to do?

If you want to find out more about the amazing things that are all within a walking distance of the campus have a look at Discover South Kensington and Hyde Park. 

How can I find out more about living in London?

Whilst it doesn’t reflect current restrictions, we recommend you visit our living in London pages on our website to see what an incredible globaly city London is.