The INSPIRE programme is a ten-month programme PGCE starting in September each year. As an INSPIRE student you will experience the following:
- An intensive induction programme throughout September followed by university-based sessions in half-terms and between placements in February.
- Two placements of school practice within two different partner schools in and around London, allowing rapid development towards the PGCE qualification.
- Integrated INSPIRE activities such as science clubs, competitions, trips, presentations and much more during the first seven months.
- A total of four weeks off-timetable in December, National Science Week in March, and May, delivering outreach in partner schools.
- Master’s-level tasks tailored to allow you to analyse how best to bring your scientific expertise into the school context.
- Master’s-level research in educational theory and policy. This opens up your potential to go on to hugely influence the educational system within the UK and beyond by linking universities, schools and government bodies in understanding the role science education can play in our society.
If you successfully complete the programme you will be awarded a a Master’s-level Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), awarded by Canterbury Christ Church University and will gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
This is a unique element of the INSPIRE programme. You will work with a supervisor from Imperial College London, who will support you in developing activities and partnerships to inspire young minds. Students deliver these activities during set programme weeks to approximately 8 additional partner schools.