Student getting advice at the Student Hub

Council tax is a tax set by councils to help pay for local services like policing and refuse collection. It applies to all domestic properties.

Full-time students living in a College hall of residence are automatically exempt from paying Council Tax.

The Registry produces Council Tax Exemption Certificates for full-time students at any time of the year. You can request one at the Student Hub and collect in person or use the Request Documents tab on e-Service to request an Exemption Certificate to be emailed to you. Please note that the Exemption Certificate will not have your address on it, so you will need to ensure that you confirm this with your local council at the same time as sending them the Exemption Certificate.

Students who entered writing-up status on or after 1 October 2008 are exempt from council tax, within the parameters set out below, and can also be issued with a Council Tax Exemption Certificate on request.

To see if you may qualify for exemption please consider the following points:

  • Full-time students living in other accommodation occupied solely by full-time students will be granted exemption from payment of council tax on submission to the council of a Council Tax Exemption Certificate for each individual.
  • Where only one adult who is not a full-time student lives in a dwelling together with one or more full-time students, a reduction of 25 per cent in the council tax for the dwelling will be given on submission of a Council Tax Exemption Certificate for each student. This covers the case, for example, of a student or students living at home with only one parent, or a student living with a non-student husband or wife.
  • Part-time students are not entitled to any exemption from or reduction of council tax, although they can apply directly to their local authority for a rebate if they are on a low income.
  • Where a full-time student or students live(s) together with two or more non-student adults (for example, at home with both parents) no reduction will be given for the dwelling. There is therefore no point in requesting an Exemption Certificate if these are your circumstances.
  • Special regulations affect overseas students who bring with them a non-British husband / wife / child. For advice, check with the Imperial College Union Advice Centre.

If your circumstances do not appear to be covered, further information can be obtained by emailing Records.