Ciência sem Fronteiras
Ciência sem Fronteiras is a Brazilian Government scholarship programme which aims to send 100,000 Brazilian students on undergraduate sandwich courses, PhD sandwich courses and full PhDs to study in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and creative industries at top universities around the world.
To be eligible for the Ciência sem Fronteiras scholarship you must adhere to the following criteria:
- Be a Brazilian citizen in good academic standing within your own higher education institution
- Meet the College's English language requirements and also the UKBA minimum English language requirements in order to be eligible for the Tier 4 (general) visa. Further information on the English language requirements at Imperial is available on English language requirement webpage.
How to Apply; Please follow these guidelines in this order:
- Students should approach individual departments and supervisors at Imperial with details of their proposed project. It is essential that students make contact with departments/supervisors before submitting a PhD application. Sandwich PhD students should also discuss applying for a Ciência sem Fronteiras Scholarship with their supervisor at their university in Brazil. Information about the Departments at Imperial can be found via our Faculties and Departments webpage.
- Once it has been established that the project is viable and the supervisor(s) is able and willing to supervise the student, the student should submit a PhD application to Imperial following standard College procedure. Details about how to apply can be found on our How to Apply pages for prospective postgraduate students.
- Once a formal offer has been issued, students must apply online to Ciência sem Fronteiras. There are three calls per year for funding and it will require evidence of an offer to complete an application.
What the Scholarship includes
Each scholarship will last for up to four full years for a full PhD scholarship and cover:
- Tuition fees
- Monthly stipend
- Return flights to Brazil
- Health insurance.
Information from other Brazilian funding institutions
In addition, scholarship programmes for overseas studies are also available at Brazilian funding institutions. The Brazilian Federal Government recently launched a scholarship programme called Ciência sem Fronteiras, which is being implemented by the Capes Foundation and CNPq. The State of Sao Paulo has also a scholarship program available at Fapesp. Please find below more information about these institutions and their programs:
- CAPES Foundation: Coordination of Improvement of Higher Education Personel (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior), Brazilian Ministry of Education (MEC), Federal Government;
- CNPQ:The National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico), Brazilian Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MCTI), Federal Government;
- FAPESP: Sao Paulo Research Foundation (Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo), Government of the State of Sao Paulo.