Discounts for College staff
Tuition fee remission scheme
Staff who register for a part-time postgraduate degree at Imperial may be eligible for a reduction in their tuition fee through the tuition fee remission scheme.
- The scheme is available to all full- and part-time staff who have a contract of employment with the College (including employees of wholly-owned subsidiaries of the College).
- The scheme is not available to staff holding an honorary contract with the College or employees of the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.
- The scheme is not available to children or partners of staff.
- The scheme is only available for the duration of the employment with the College.
- The scheme applies to postgraduate degrees only; employees seeking to register for an undergraduate degree with the College cannot apply for fee remission.
- Staff will need to demonstrate a clear business case for the study benefiting their work and must obtain Head of Department approval to receive the fee remission.
- Staff will need to meet the normal entry requirements for admission onto the programme.
To qualify for the fee remission:
- staff must have been employed by the College for at least one year prior to the start of the programme
- their contract must end on or after the date on which their degree programme is expected to finish
If staff begin a programme of study before they have completed one year of employment with the College, they will not be eligible for the tuition fee remission scheme for any part of that programme.
If staff resign from their employment at College within a year of completing a course where they have been given fee remission, they will be required to repay the fee remission in full.
If staff resign from their employment at College after one year but within two years of completing a course where they have been given fee remission, they will be required to repay 50% of the fee remission awarded.
Full-time Research Assistants (RAs) and Clinical Research Fellows (CRFs) registering for an MD(Res), PhD or integrated four-year MRes/PhD relevant to their research employment at the College will not be required to meet the qualifying period of service before becoming eligible for fee remission.
They will also not have to repay any fee remission if they leave the College within two years of completing their programme due to their contract coming to an end.
RAs and CRFs that are externally funded are not eligible for fee remission.
Part-time RAs and CRFs and any RAs or CRFs applying for programmes other than those listed above (including stand-alone MRes programmes) will be treated as any other staff.
These arrangements apply for courses starting in the 2018–19 academic year, staff that have already qualified for fee remission will remain under the policy in force at the time they commenced their programme.
Amount of fee remission
- Eligible full-time employees will receive a discount of two-thirds the Home/EU fee for the relevant programme regardless of their fee classification. The remaining balance of the fee will be paid by the employee, their department or other sponsor.
- Eligible part-time employees will receive a discount of two-thirds the Home/EU fee for the relevant programme pro rata the full-time equivalence of their contract regardless of fee classification. The remaining balance of the fee will be paid by the employee, their department or other sponsor.
- Full-time RAs and CRFs will be eligible to pay a fee of one-third of the Home/EU fee for the relevant research programme regardless of their fee classification.
Find out more
If you are interested in the tuition fee remission scheme, please contact the Tuition Fee team in the first instance to find out whether you are eligible.
Last updated: August 2018