Free Language Opportunities
Free language opportunities for research degree students (PhD, EngD, MD [Res] and MPhil)
The Graduate School, in partnership with the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication (CLCC), has established a scheme, which provides 150 research students with an opportunity to study a language for free.
Below you can find out more about these opportunities and how to apply.
- These specially funded places are limited and you should only apply if you are able to commit for the duration of the course and complete any assignments.
- If you fail to meet the minimum required attendance you will be issued with a cancellation charge of £50 via your department.
- Participation in one of the language courses does not count towards the professional skills requirement.
Free Language Classes - Further Information
Free Language Opportunities - How to Apply
Learning another language is now one of the key skills for almost all careers and professions, enabling you to communicate with work and research colleagues around the world, take up employment in other countries, and also make new friends from different cultures.
If you are a postgraduate research student (PhD, MD [Res], EngD or MPhil) you can apply for a free place on one of our Evening Class language courses. Our Evening Classes are held at the South Kensington Campus on weekdays between 6pm and 8pm. Classes start w/c 15th October 2018.
Ten different languages are available:
Courses are available for a range of levels, from complete beginners to the more advanced. The total number of free places on all available Evening Class courses is limited to 100, and these are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. Early application is therefore advised.
To discover more about the range of Evening Classes available at Imperial College, and find information on the weekly timetable, different language levels and the course requirements for each language, click here
If you would like to apply for one of the free places on an evening class language course, click here (you must use this link only to apply)
- Do not apply for a free place using the standard Evening Class booking link. If you do you will be asked to pay a course fee.
- We will inform you whether you have been allocated a free place by Friday 5th October.
- If you are allocated a free place on a language course Evening Class you are required to attend not less than 80% of the taught sessions. Failure to do so will result in you being required to pay a cancellation charge.
- All Evening Classes carry a 2 ECTS rating for which you have to pass a written examination at the end of the course. Completion of the exam is optional, does not count towards any other requirements and details will be forwarded in late January
- If you are not allocated a free place you can still join a language Evening Class by paying the course fee at the internal rate.
- Imperial College runs a number of Evening Classes in art history, creative writing, photography, history and the sciences, which you are welcome to join, but only the language courses are eligible for the free places.
- Free language course places on the Evening Class programme are only available to postgraduate research students (e.g. research degrees, PhDs, etc.)
- Free places are limited to a maximum of one free place per student on either an Evening Class or Imperial Horizons.
If you have any queries relating to Evening Class courses ONLY please contact email@example.com.