Progression for your PhD and Beyond
Professional Progression Professional Development Courses
Ask the Doctor your Chance to Chat with a Doctoral Graduate at Work (Webinar)
This interactive webinar is designed to give you the opportunity to discuss career thinking and options with a doctoral graduate. Please prepare your questions so that you can participate fully and gain ideas for good practice and tips to develop your career planning and professional advancement.
By the end of this webinar and with recommended resources you should be able to:
- Consider questions and answers to assist with careers thinking
- Construct an improved and tailored set of questions to use when networking
- Practice and apply networking questions
- Assess and tailor your approaches to networking
- Evaluate how best to apply information gained for your advancement
To view the dates that this webinar will run and book your place on a session, please follow the link
Maintaining your Motivation and Building Independence
This workshop assists you to identify your motivators and opportunities for support. It also looks at opportunities for effective communication and networking allowing for dissemination of and feedback on your work. The workshop ends with some reference to planning and following the workshop you can assess your options of steps to take to maintain and build on motivations and balance independence.
On completion of this workshop you will be able to:
- Recognise your motivators and how to use these
- Practice using some problem solving tools
- Identify theories to build motivation
- Develop insight regarding building independence
- Propose possible steps to develop independence
- Wednesday 18 March 2020, 09:30-12:30, South Kensington
- Monday 04 May 2020, 09:30-12:30, South Kensington
Negotiation for Your Doctorate & Beyond
Tutor: Dr Caroline Hargreaves
Course Level: Level 2
Course Credit: 1 credit
Negotiation and influencing skills are useful in work or study and are increasingly important and valued. This workshop provides you with an understanding of and practice in the skills which contribute to constructive negotiations, and the opportunity to evaluate contexts and opportunities to improve these skills.
On completion of this workshop and with the course materials you should be better able to:
- Recognise where you can use negotiating and influencing strategies
- Identify the stakeholders involved, their motives, objectives and styles of communication
- Outline seven stages of a negotiation
- Practice applying negotiation skills to help you prepare
- Assess contexts and opportunities to improve your negotiation, persuasion and conflict handling skills
- Thursday 30 January 2020, 14:00-17:00, South Kensington
- Wednesday 22 April 2020, 09:30-12:30, South Kensington
Networking for Progressing Your PhD
This interactive workshop is designed to equip you with the confidence and the tools to network effectively. It considers good practice and gives tips to develop techniques for effective networking for application in areas including: career planning, professional advancement and forming collaborations.
NB: The workshop was developed with the "nervous networker" in mind, and those with little networking experience have the most to gain from it. More experienced networkers looking to refine their abilities are very welcome, although some material may be familiar.
By the end of this course and using course material you should be better able to:
- Identify and discuss your networking needs, good practice and resources.
- Review a 7 step plan for successful face to face networking.
- Construct an improved personal introduction to expand your network.
- Practice and apply techniques learned for successful networking and to build confidence.
- Evaluate situations and how best to apply networking in areas such as conferences, forming collaborations, professional planning and advancement.
- Wednesday 18 December 2019, 10:00-13:00, Hammersmith Hospital
- Thursday 06 February 2020, 10:00-13:00, South Kensington
- Tuesday 17 March 2020, 13:00-16:00, South Kensington
- Monday 01 June 2020, 10:00-13:00, South Kensington
Thinking About Doing a Postdoc?
Deciding on what to do next can be difficult for doctoral researchers. Many doctoral researchers drift into Postdocs without appreciating how to choose the right one for them or pros and cons of doing a Postdoc. This course aims to inspire a more focussed approach, by exploring options, introducing opinions of some Imperial postdocs and presenting example job descriptions, person specifications and application forms to start doctoral researchers on the right track for them.
This interactive cross-faculty workshop is divided into four parts, covering the following topics:
- What are postdocs? Why do a postdoc? How to apply?
- Draft application plan
- Life as a postdoc (guest postdocs and Q&A)
On completion of the workshop and with course and recommended materials you should be better able to:
- Evaluate what you are looking for in an ideal postdoc position
- Assess some pros and cons of doing a postdoc
- Plan how you will approach postdoc applications
- Begin to generate relevant material to be tailored for applications
- Identify resources to assist your decision making process
- Thursday 13 February 2020, 10:00-13:00, Hammersmith Hospital
- Wednesday 29 April 2020, 09:30-12:30, South Kensington