Department of Mathematics
Postgraduate students 2016–17
Taught Master's: 180
Staff : Student ratio 2016–17
1 : 12.5
3rd (joint) in the UK based on proportion of world leading research
The Department of Mathematics is one of the strongest and most active in the UK.
We're also one of the largest, with hundreds of undergraduates undertaking a broad range of BSc and MSci courses, in addition to our MSc and PhD students.
Our teaching staff comprises 80 academic staff (including 40 Professors), some 70 Research Associates/Fellows, and a steady flow of international visitors. We also have strong links with external organisations, especially with the aerospace and pharmaceutical industries, the government statistical service, retail and investment banking, and the hedge fund sector.
The principal aim of the Department is to train professional mathematicians to pursue the study of scientific and technological problems by mathematical methods, and to undertake research. Our research is organised into four sections:
- Applied Mathematics and Mathematical Physics (including Numerical Analysis)
- Mathematical Finance
- Pure Mathematics
These sections support our extensive PhD programme, as well as helping us to keep our MSc courses at the cutting edge of the field.
The Department has an access grid node, enabling us to share live postgraduate-level lectures with similar nodes in Oxford, Warwick, Bath and Bristol.
We have excellent computing facilities in the Department, and the College’s central Library holds an extensive mathematics collection.
Courses and research
- MSc Applied Mathematics (1 year full-time / 2 years part-time)
- MSc Machine Learning and Data Science (Online) (2 years part-time)
- MSc Mathematics and Finance (1 year full-time / 2 years part-time)
- MSc Pure Mathematics (1 year full-time / 2 years part-time)
- MSc Statistics (1 year full-time)
- MSc Statistics (Applied Statistics) (1 year full-time)
- MSc Statistics (Biostatistics) (1 year full-time)
- MSc Statistics (Data Science) (1 year full-time)
- MSc Statistics (Statistical Finance) (1 year full-time)
- MSc Statistics (Theory and Methods) (1 year full-time)
(2–4 years full-time; 4–6 years part-time)
(1 + 3 years full-time)
Delivered in our Centre for Doctoral Training
Below are some example of research topics that are currently being studied, or have been studied in the Department in the recent past.
For more information about the research that is taking place across the Department, please see our website.