Department of Aeronautics
Total expected intake
130 (2020 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
8 : 1 (based on 2018 entry data)
3rd in the UK
About the Department
Studying Aeronautics at Imperial means joining a department at the cutting edge of aerospace teaching and research – we’re ranked in the top ten in the field in the QS World University rankings by subject 2017.
This is reflected in the state-of-the-art facilities you will have access to – a Mach 9 hypersonic gun tunnel and a variable Mach supersonic wind tunnel; a range of low-speed wind tunnels for road vehicle studies; a large flight test arena for the development of next-generation aerial robots; and a flight simulator where you can test-fly your own aircraft designs.
We also have extensive links with the aerospace industry, resulting in talks and seminars by visiting experts, specific lecture courses delivered in full or in part by industry experts and industry-inspired projects.
We offer four undergraduate degrees, which are all professionally accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). This dual accreditation demonstrates the broad base of engineering, computational and analytical skills that they deliver, as well as the specific knowledge and experience required for careers in the aeronautical industry.
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering (UCAS code H401)
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering with a Year Abroad (four years) (Apply initially to MEng Aeronautical Engineering)
- MEng Aeronautics with Spacecraft Engineering (Apply initially to MEng Aeronautical Engineering)
Five-year course (300 ECTS):
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering with a Year in Industry (Apply initially to MEng Aeronautical Engineering)
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering with a Year Abroad (five years) (Apply initially to MEng Aeronautical Engineering)
If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your Tier 4 visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.