Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Total expected intake
160 (2019 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
7 : 1 (for 2017 entry)
1st in the UK
About the Department
Imperial’s Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering is amongst the top teaching and research departments in the UK.
We also have a strong global reputation (ranked within the top 10 in the QS World University rankings by subject 2017) in recognition of our world class academics and researchers, dedicated support staff, strong relationships with industry and our diverse and talented student community.
Special features of our courses include an integrated six-month industrial placement or industry-led group project; and pathways that combine technical and management skills or increased software skills. We also offer integrated year abroad opportunities.
Three-year courses (186 ECTS):
- BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (UCAS code H600)
- BEng Electronic and Information Engineering (HG65)
Four-year courses (252/276 ECTS):
- MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (H604)
- MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Management (H6N2)
- MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering with a Year Abroad*
- MEng Electronic and Information Engineering (GH56)
- MEng Electronic and Information Engineering with a Year Abroad**
* Apply initially for MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (H604)
** Apply initially for MEng Electronic and Information Engineering (GH56)
Our Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Electronic and Information Engineering degrees have different course content. You can find out more about the differences between the two by following the links to individual degrees above.
In your application you need only specify one course. There is no benefit in applying to more than one course in the Department. We take a flexible approach to course changes within the Department during the admissions stage.
During the early years of the course you can change between BEng and MEng and the various MEng specialisations within your degree pathway. We will discuss your choice with you to help you make an informed decision.
Once you have started your studies it is not possible to transfer between the Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Electronic and Information Engineering degree pathways.