EEE students in the lab

Key facts

Total expected intake

160 (2021 entry)

Applications : Admissions ratio

7 : 1 (based on 2019 entry data)

The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020

2nd in the UK

About the Department

Imperial’s Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering is amongst the top teaching and research departments in the UK.

We have a strong global reputation in recognition of our world-class academics and researchers, dedicated support staff, strong relationships with industry and our diverse and talented student community.

Special features of our courses include an integrated six-month industrial placement or industry-led group project; and pathways that combine technical and management skills or increased software skills. We also offer integrated year abroad opportunities.


Three-year courses (186 ECTS):

Four-year courses (252/276 ECTS):

* Apply initially for MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering (H604)
** Apply initially for MEng Electronic and Information Engineering (GH56)

Our Electronic Engineering and Information Engineering degrees have different course content. You can find out more about the differences between the two by following the links to individual degrees above.

In your application you need only specify one course. There is no benefit in applying to more than one course in the Department. We take a flexible approach to course changes within the Department during the admissions stage.

During the early years of the course you can change between BEng and MEng and the various MEng specialisations within your degree pathway. We will discuss your choice with you to help you make an informed decision.

Electronic Engineering students and Information Engineering students share a common first year. At the end of your first year you choose whether to study on the Electrical and Electronic Engineering stream, or the Electronic and Information Engineering stream.

If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your student visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.