News and Events
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: a Technician Lens
Published in November 2019, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: a Technician Lens uses quantitative data and qualitative feedback to identify, for the first time, the equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) challenges facing the technical community in UK higher education. It provides sector recommendations to advance equality, diversity and inclusion for all. Download the report here.
This report will be on the agenda at our Spring Term Technician Commitment Steering Group meeting. If you have any thoughts that you would like to share, please contact us.
Staff Survey 2019 - Action Plans
Back in July at our Technicians’ Network Summer Event, we held a discussion forum on the Staff Survey responses from Imperial’s technical community. Your feedback was captured and shared with the Staff Engagement team, so that it could help inform the action planning process. Staff survey action plans from across College have now been completed and are available here, organised by Faculty/Division. Please take a look at what your area of College has committed to.
Staff Survey feedback from technical staff will also inform the work of the Technician Commitment Steering Group. Remember that you can get in touch with any member of the Steering Group if there are particular things you think we should be focusing our efforts on!
Recruiting now: Technician Mentors!
Do you have an interest in helping and developing others?
Do you have a range of experience and a variety of workplace skills?
Then mentoring could be for you!
We are currently recruiting technical staff and managers to join a new mentoring scheme for professional, technical and operational staff. New mentors join a three-hour briefing session, which provides an overview of what is involved and will equip you with the skills you need to successfully mentor others!
To get involved or find out more, sign up here for one of our upcoming briefings.
11 December 2019, 09.30 - 12.30, Hammersmith Campus
06 January 2020, 13:30 - 16:30, South Kensington
Previously in the news
- The latest group of graduates from Imperial’s technician apprenticeship schemes have celebrated completing their programmes.
- Imperial's Central Biomedical Services (CBS) division has become the first animal care facility within a UK university to be recognised by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care.
- Steve Ramsey, a Registered Scientist (RSci) who has worked with glass for 50 years, retired in June from creating bespoke scientific equipment.
Lord Sainsbury was a special guest at the opening ceremony of the National Technician Development Centre for Higher Education at the University of Sheffield. The centre will provide higher education institutions with access to information, expertise and tools that will enable them to create a sustainable future for their technical staff and services.
- The Technicians' Portal brings together the support and development opportunities Imperial offers to its technical staff.
- An academic leader who has championed diversity at Imperial and a senior technician have both been recognised in the Queen's birthday honours list.
- Workshop technicians Giovanni Marinaro & Robert Sherer celebrated completing their apprenticeships at a special presentation by Provost James Stirling.
- Imperial became a founding signatory of the Science Council's Technician Commitment. The Commitment is a sector-wide initiative to help address key challenges facing technical staff working in universities.