Policy engagement seminars
The Forum organises internal seminars for Imperial researchers which focus on building political engagement expertise.
If you would like to attend please let us know.
Upcoming policy engagement seminars
Introduction to policy engagement
The Forum has secured further training workshops with the renowned Institute for Government. The overall objective of the workshops is to demystify government and explain how to engage successfully with policymakers. The sessions are engaging, informative and practical, with lots of opportunities to apply lessons to your own areas of research. This year we also have bespoke sessions on AI and Data policy.
We have three options available:
General policy engagement sessions (for all staff):
- 9am-1pm, Wednesday 17 and Thursday 18 February (you must attend both days)
- 1.30pm-5.30pm, Wednesday 17 and Thursday 18 March (you must attend both days)
AI and data policy engagement sessions (for AI and Data researchers and support staff):
- 1.30pm-5.30pm, Wednesday 10 and Thursday 11 March (you must attend both days)
- Gain an improved understanding of the governmental landscape
- Learn how policy making works in practice
- Learn practical tips for engaging with Parliament, particularly select committees
- Explore policy making from the perspective of the Civil Service
- Learn how to build your profile
- Practise communicating effectively with policymakers
- Learn about the key players in AI and data policy making (AI and Data sessions only)
The sessions will be held online and led by experts at the Institute for Government.
To sign up, please email The Forum with your preferred date.
Communicating your research
Communicating policy ideas in multiple media
The Forum has secured two webinar sessions with academic, author and former journalist Professor Justin Gest on communicating policy ideas in multiple media. Open to all Imperial staff and PhD students.
Two dates are available. The webinars are the same so please only sign up for one session:
- Wednesday 20 January 2021, 15.00-16.30
- Thursday 28 January 2021, 16.00-17.30
For full details and to sign up, please visit the Eventbrite page.
Bespoke 1-1 sessions
In these sessions we will look at best practice in drafting policy briefings and evidence submissions. Please bring along your draft policy briefing or evidence submission.
We are currently running these sessions on a 1-1 basis upon request. Please get in touch and one of the team will be happy to help.