World leading research in some of the most exciting areas of theoretical physics including string theory, quantum field theory, cosmology, quantum foundations and gravity
Welcome to the Theoretical Physics Group at Imperial College! The Group was founded in 1956 by Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and we have written a brief history of the Group. We carry out world-leading research in some of the most exciting areas of theoretical physics including string theory, quantum field theory, cosmology, quantum foundations, and gravity. We have a dynamic PhD programme and we offer a one year MSc Course which provides a focussed training to begin research at a PhD level.
Major Grant Awards and Prizes
- Prof. Mike Duff has been awarded the 2017 Paul Dirac Medal and Prize from the Institute of Physics
- Advanced ERC Grant, "Gauge theory - string theory duality: maximally supersymmetric case and beyond", Tseytlin
- Advanced ERC Grant, "Gravity, black holes and strongly coupled quantum matter", Gauntlett
- Consolidator ERC Grant, "Massive Gravity and Cosmology”, de Rham
- EPSRC Programme Grant, "New Geometric structures from string theory", Hull et al
- STFC Consolidated Grant, "M-theory, cosmology and quantum field theory", Gauntlett et al
- We expect to have postdoctoral positions in the Theory group at Imperial starting in Autumn 2018. Application details will be provided later.
- We also expect to support fellowship applications for awards starting in 2018. Note the group and department have internal deadlines for applications which are well before the official deadline. The internal deadlines vary with the fellowship but some are as early as 27th July 2017.
- Imperial College Master's Support Scheme and other scholarships available for MSc study
- Theoretical Physics holds a Postgraduate Open Day covering both the PhD programme and the MSc in Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces. The open day gives prospective students an opportunity to meet the academic staff in the group and find out more about the courses and projects on offer. Future open days will be posted here and on the Postgraduate Study pages on our website (link above).
- Jerome Gauntlett gave a talk on "A Brief History of Stephen Hawking" at ICE Summer Festival, Madingley Hall, Cambridge.
- Profile of Claudia de Rham and her work on Swiss Public Radio.
- Fay Dowker profiled in "The Life Scientific" on BBC Radio 4.
- Fay Dowker gave a Friends of Imperial College lecture on Quantum gravity: reconciling relativity with quantum theory