World leading research in some of the most exciting areas of theoretical physics including string theory, quantum field theory, cosmology, quantum foundations and gravity
Welcome to the Theoretical Physics Group at Imperial College! The Group was founded in 1956 by Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and we have written a brief history of the Group. We carry out world leading research in some of the most exciting areas of theoretical physics including string theory, quantum field theory, cosmology, quantum foundations and gravity. We have a dynamic PhD programme and we offer a one year MSc Course which provides a focussed training to begin research at a PhD level. Professor Jerome Gauntlett Head of Theoretical Physics
- Advanced ERC Grant, "Gauge theory - string theory duality: maximally supersymmetric case and beyond", Tseytlin
- Advanced ERC Grant, "Gravity, black holes and strongly coupled quantum matter", Gauntlett
- EPSRC Programme Grant, "New Geometric structures from string theory", Hull et al
- STFC Consolidated Grant, "M-theory, cosmology and quantum field theory", Gauntlett et al
- Internal deadlines for STFC Fellowships and for Royal Society University Research Fellowships are 5th August 2016.
- Internal deadline for the Imperial College Junior Research Fellowships is Monday 5th September 2016.
- We expect to have new internal postdoctoral positions starting in Autumn 2017. Application details will be provided later.
- Imperial College Master's Support Scheme and other scholarships available for MSc study
- Theoretical Physics holds a Postgraduate Open Day covering both the PhD programme and the MSc in Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces. The open day gives prospective students an opportunity to meet the academic staff in the group and find out more about the courses and projects on offer. Future open days will be posted here and on the Postgraduate Study pages on our website (link above).
- Dr Steffen Gielen from the Theory Group has been talking about his work on The Big Bounce, an alternative to The Big Bang view of cosmology, in the Daily Mail and Belfast Telegraph as well as to Hayley Dunning from Imperial.
- The media have talked to several members of the theory group about the first direct observation of gravitational waves and the implications for research: Toby Wiseman on MSN news, Fay Dowker was on the Today Programme (around 2:55:00 into the programme) on Radio 4, Jerome Gauntlett was on the Jon Gaunt show (around -50:30) and Arttu Rajantie on BBC Three Counties Radio (from 02:17:20) and six other local stations (see main news page for other links)
- Theory Group Celebrates 100 years of General Relativity with lectures by Fay Dowker and Jerome Gauntlett in the Great Hall (23rd November).
- Toby Wiseman describing falling into a black hole (also in the Mail) and explaining General Relativity to the BBC
- More on GR by Fay Dowker, Chris Hull and Toby Wiseman here
- Fay Dowker was on the Infinite Monkey Cage show on Radio 4 as part of a programme celebrating the centenary of Einstein;s Theory of General Relativity - check out the podcast of the show (broadcast 8th December).