World leading research in some of the most exciting areas of theoretical physics including string theory, quantum field theory, cosmology, quantum foundations and gravity
Welcome to the Theoretical Physics Group at Imperial College! The Group was founded in 1956 by Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and we have written a brief history of the Group. We carry out world-leading research in some of the most exciting areas of theoretical physics including string theory, quantum field theory, cosmology, quantum foundations, and gravity. We have a dynamic PhD programme and we offer a one year MSc Course which provides a focussed training to begin research at a PhD level.
Stephen Hawking 1942 - 2018
The Group is deeply saddened to hear of the death of Professor Stephen Hawking. He had many long-standing and significant connections to and close friendships within the Theory Group and will be greatly missed. For some tributes from the group see here.
- "Strings, Geometry and Black Holes", 23rd European String Workshop, April 9-13, 2018, King's College London
Major Grant Awards and Prizes
- Dr Claudia de Rham has been honoured in the inaugural UK Blavatnik Awards for outstanding young scientists.
- Prof. Mike Duff has been awarded the 2017 Paul Dirac Medal and Prize from the Institute of Physics
- Advanced ERC Grant, "Gauge theory - string theory duality: maximally supersymmetric case and beyond", Tseytlin
- Advanced ERC Grant, "Gravity, black holes and strongly coupled quantum matter", Gauntlett
- Consolidator ERC Grant, "Massive Gravity and Cosmology”, de Rham
- EPSRC Programme Grant, "New Geometric structures from string theory", Hull et al
- STFC Consolidated Grant, "M-theory, cosmology and quantum field theory", Waldram et al
We have several postdoctoral positions in the Theory group at Imperial starting in Autumn 2018.
- Postdoctoral positions in string theory:
One or more two-year positions. Please apply via academicjobsonline.org. Deadline 18 December 2017
- Postdoctoral positions in gravity and cosmology:
Up to two, two-year positions. Please apply via academicjobsonline.org. Deadline 15 December 2017
We also support fellowship applications for awards starting in 2018. Note the group and department have internal deadlines for applications which are well before the official deadline. The internal deadlines vary with the fellowship but some are as early as 27th July 2017.
- Imperial College Master's Support Scheme and other scholarships available for MSc study
- Theoretical Physics holds a Postgraduate Open Day covering both the PhD programme and the MSc in Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces. The open day gives prospective students an opportunity to meet the academic staff in the group and find out more about the courses and projects on offer. Future open days will be posted here and on the Postgraduate Study pages on our website (link above).
- Jerome Gauntlett gave a Royal Institution Discourse on "Black holes and the fundamental laws of physics".
- Jerome Gauntlett gave a talk on "A Brief History of Stephen Hawking" at ICE Summer Festival, Madingley Hall, Cambridge.
- Profile of Claudia de Rham and her work on Swiss Public Radio.
- Fay Dowker profiled in "The Life Scientific" on BBC Radio 4.
- Fay Dowker gave a Friends of Imperial College lecture on Quantum gravity: reconciling relativity with quantum theory