Our research interests centre on the synthesis of novel 2D atomically thin materials with tuneable optoelectronic properties for light harvesting applications and for multifunctional 3D hierarchical structures.
We are interested in investigating the fundamental science of new semiconducting low-dimensional materials for engineering applications relying on scalable synthesis procedures.
Research Projects Accordion
Advanced multifunctional composites of graphene oxide
We contributed in unraveling the chemical evolution of graphene oxide (GO) upon annealing in the attempt to restore the electrical conductivity. Now building on our understanding of this material we engage collaborations with industrial partners and chemical and mechanical engineers to bring graphene into real applications. We have scaled up the synthesis of graphene oxide in aqueous and organic solvent suspensions to enable fabrication of real scale prototypes. We are developing GO membranes for water filtration and gas separation, new composites for pipeliners, and fabricating new epoxy resins with enhanced thermal, mechanical and electrical properties for airspace coatings.
- Structural evolution during the reduction of chemically derived graphene oxide, Nature Chemistry, Vol:2, ISSN:1755-4330, Pages:581-587 , 2010,
- Barg S, Perez FM, Ni N, , 2014, Mesoscale assembly of chemically modified graphene into complex cellular networks, NATURE COMMUNICATIONS, Vol: 5, ISSN: 2041-17
- Song W, Lischner J, Rocha VG, Tuning the Double Layer of Graphene Oxide through Phosphorus Doping for Enhanced Supercapacitance, ACS ENERGY LETTERS, Vol: 2, Pages: 1144-1149, ISSN: 2380-8195, 2017,
- Olowojoba GB, Kopsidas S, Eslava S, A facile way to produce epoxy nanocomposites having excellent thermal conductivity with low contents of reduced graphene oxide, JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE, Vol: 52, Pages: 7323-7344, ISSN: 0022-2461, 2017,
- Aba NFD, Chong JY, Wang B, Graphene oxide membranes on ceramic hollow fibers - Microstructural stability and nanofiltration performance, JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE, Vol: 484, Pages: 87-94, ISSN: 0376-7388, 2015,
Mesoscale design of multifunctional 3D networks of 2D materials
Three-dimensional networks of 2D materials have been emerging as a new way of obtaining multifunctional monoliths with a wide range of potential applications from energy storage to bioelectronics. Their different functions arise from the unique combination of 2D materials inherent properties and the specific architectural order. The fundamental challenge now is to establish properties-structure relationship by using highly controllable processes to create ordered structures. Our interest encompasses the development of new solutions for the structuring of 2D materials which can give access to nano-sized structures.
- Sherrell PC, Mattevi C, 2016, Mesoscale design of multifunctional 3D graphene networks, Materials Today, ISSN: 1369-702
- Pierin G, Grotta C, Colombo P, Direct Ink Writing of micrometric SiOC ceramic structures using a preceramic polymer, Journal of the European Ceramic Society, ISSN: 0955-2219 , 2015,
Semiconducting 2D materials: synthesis and electronic devices
Chemical vapour deposition has seen a recent resurge with the synthesis of graphene on transition metal surfaces. The same technique results to be particularly suited also for the synthesis of group VI-TMDs. Synthesis of wafer-sized films as well as controlled geometries is essential to implement them into nanoelectronic and photonic devices. Our interest overarches graphene and semiconducting two-dimensional materials with the objective to develop methods to grow materials with tailored properties for different device applications. We utilize conventional quartz tubular furnaces and a dedicated bespoke CVD system by VG-Scientia which can host 4-inch wafers as growth substrates.
- Kim H, Mattevi C, Calvo MR, Activation Energy Paths for Graphene Nucleation and Growth on Cu, ACS NANO, Vol: 6, Pages: 3614-3623, ISSN: 1936-0851 , 2012,
- Mattevi C, Colleaux F, Kim H, Solution-processable organic dielectrics for graphene electronics, NANOTECHNOLOGY, Vol: 23, ISSN: 0957-4484 , 2012,
- Amit I, Octon TJ, Townsend NJ, Role of Charge Traps in the Performance of Atomically Thin Transistors, ADVANCED MATERIALS, Vol: 29, ISSN: 0935-9648 , 2017,
2D Materials for Energy Applications
MoS2/WS2 Heterojunction for Photoelectrochemical Water Oxidation
Room-temperature growth of colloidal Bi2Te3 nanosheets
- Pesci FM, Sokolikova M, Grotta C, MoS2/WS2heterojunction for photoelectrochemical water oxidation, ACS Catalysis, ISSN: 2155-5435 , 2017,
- Sokolikova MS, Sherrell PC, Palczynski P, Room-temperature growth of colloidal Bi2Te3 nanosheets., Chem Commun (Camb), Vol: 53, Pages: 8026-8029 , 2017,