Generally speaking there are 3 types of sources:

  1. The Host Supervisor (including their research group)
  2. A Third-Party Source (#)
  3. Personal Funding from the student

Naturally, it is often the case that a student undertaking a UROP might be covering their living expenses form one or more of the above sources.

This page deal with Third Party Sources of Funding.

A "Third-Party", for the purposes of UROP, is commonly a "scheme" which makes available (by competitive application) one or more bursaries (sometimes referred to as scholarships or awards) for the specific purpose of supporting students with the additional living expenses associated with undertaking a research experience (sometimes referred to as a vacation research internship or something similar) in the vacation/holiday period during an undergraduate degree.

However, some potential third-party sources of funding are not structured as a "scheme", rather they are a "discretionary" source of funding, i.e. an individual is invited to make a case as to why that third-party would be interested in assisting them with their living costs.

Schemes and Discretionary Sources are governed by specific eligibility criteria and normally have their own unique application process (perhaps a paper or online form), deadline and decision making timeframe.

While there are many "schemes" (but fewer "discretionary" sources) you will need to pick out those (including discovering opportunities which are not listed on this website) which are relevant to you.

Check all the information on an individual "scheme" or "discretionary source" thoroughly, especially deadlines!

Most "schemes" are very competitive.

# The "scheme" managed centrally by Imperial College for Imperial College Undergraduates (to make matters a little bit more complex), also include bursaries which are provided for by two sponsors (e.g. 50%:50% Host Supervisor/Dept:College).

All third-party sources of funding would normally require the student and/or supervisor to submit a report of some description.

Generally speaking, if you are currently studying for a first degree outside the UK you are ineligible for all the schemes listed on these UROP webpages. Students currently studying at a European university (and seeking research internship experience at Imperial College) should consider contacting the Erasmus Office at their home university about "traineeship/placement" grants/scholarships.

Bursary Sources

Imperial College UROP bursary scheme for Imperial College undergraduates (various)

The UROP Awards competition (for UROPs to be undertaken in summer 2020) has now closed.

Full details on the 2020 scheme are available on the Student Financial Support website.

Imperial College undergraduates (degree programmes ONLY) will normally be considered (subject to eligibility criteria) for one of the following award schemes:

  • Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Vacation Bursary.
  • BP UROP Awards
  • Faculty of Engineering UROP Awards
  • Imperial College UROP Awards
  • Malcom Weir UROP Bursary (FoNS only)

There is normally a single application procedure for the above awards. The proposed supervisor is normally required to submit a form in the period after the competition closes.

Please note that a student is not required to have registered their UROP with the Records Team before they apply for a bursary by this route. Registering a UROP is a separate process and can be done nearer the summer (see the UROP website).

The College's thanks goes to the EPSRC and BP for continuing to support UROP at Imperial College London.

UK research councils

Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)

The BBSRC research experience placement bursary programme is administered by participating universities by selected BBSRC Doctoral Training Partnerships who are responsible for advertising the opportunities. Imperial College is a participating university where it is administered by the Dept of Life Sciences.

Please contact your chosen supervisor to enquire whether they are willing to nominate you for a BBSRC Research Experience Placement award. Supervisors can contact the relevant DTP administrator in their dept as to the nomination/selection procedure.

Natural Environment Research Council

Funds for undergraduate summer vacation research experiences are now managed by selected NERC Centres for Doctoral Training who are responsible for advertising opportunities.

Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council

Please refer to Imperial College UROP Bursary Scheme for Imperial College Undergraduates

Miscellaneous schemes

There are other sources of funding, and where relevant to your research area your supervisor may have some knowledge of already.

  • various national bodies for academic disciplines (i.e The Institute of X, Royal Society of Z, the British Council for Y) may offer limited bursary opportunities.
  • Industry contacts associated with the work of the host research group might be a source of financial support.

It is worth investigating these options with a supervisor who offers you a placement.

Here are a few examples of websites which provide listings or provide information about specific funding opportunities. It is not exhaustive so be prepared to explore other avenues:

  • The Society of Biology has a VERY useful webpage which identifies various schemes (some of which are also listed below) in the field of life sciences and medicine.
  • Royal Society of Chemistry: 
  • Microbiology Society: Harry Smith Vacation scholarships.
  • Deafness Research UK has allocated vacation awards in previous years for research placements at UK universities. Please note that this scheme did not operate in 2019.
  • London Mathematical Society provides summer research bursaries. Please note that these normally require a contribution from the host supervisor/department so be sure to discuss this with any potential supervisor before you apply. Imperial College students have benefitted from these Awards in the past.
  • Royal Astronomical Society: 
  • Universities Federation for Animal Welfare has a Welfare Student Scholarship scheme which aims to encourage students to develop their interests in animal welfare and their abilities for animal welfare research.
  • UK Pathological Society (Understanding Disease) normally has a number of bursaries available, including for vacation placements at UK universities. There are normally two application deadlines during the year.
  • Biochemical Society (Advancing Molecular Bioscience) has a number of awards for 6 to 8 week placements (the weekly rate of bursary was £200). 
  • The (UK) Association of Physicians : These grants are designed to support undergraduate medical students interested in exploring a career in academic medicine gain experience in the research group of an Association of Physicians member. An undergraduate medicine student of Imperial College received such an Award in 2017-18.
  • Animal Free Research UK (Non-Animal Medical Research). This organisation funded a UROP in the dept of Bioengineering in summer 2018 (see their website for insight).
  • Society for Endocrinology has a summer studentships scheme (normally with a March deadline)
  • Royal Microscopical Society normally has a small bursary competition.
  • British Society for Neuroendocrinology normally advertises funding for research internships if you are a member (for at least 6 months beforehand)
  • The Lister Institute of Preventive Medicine (Summer Studentships): the key here is that an application must be sponsored by a current or past Lister Fellow. See the website for details.
  • (we think this is only for students domiciled in Scotland currently studying at a university in Scotland) The Carnegie Trust.
  • While not for internal UROPs nor other UK research experiences, any Imperial College female undergraduates in FoNS and Earth Sciences thinking of undertaking an international research placement ought to look at the internal Stevenson Fund.

Generally speaking, if you are currently studying for a first degree outside the UK you are ineligible for all the schemes listed above. Students currently studying at a European university (and seeking research internship expereince at Imperial College) should consider contacting the Erasmus Office at their home university about "placement" grants/scholarships.

Wellcome Trust biomedical vacation scholarships

Updated: 20 January 2020

Click here concerning the 2020 competition (external website).

Significant changes to the way the scheme works have been introduced for 2020.

Please note that as of 20 January there are no Awards available for research internships at Imperial College London.