Accommodation for UROP participants
Your accommodation needs will depend on when your UROP takes place, and may require one or more solution.
We hope that the following will help you:
Summer Vacation Accommodation : 2017
Before applying for College Summer Vacation Student Accommodation a UROP participant must possess a CID number (see here).
However, accommodation is not guaranteed for any UROP participant
Please note the following important information:
- Summer Vacation Accommodation in a College hall of residence (Student Hub) covers the period 1/2 July 2017 to 22 September 2017.
- There is one application procedure for summer vacation accommodation in Imperial College halls of residence (Imperial College students and students of undergraduate standing from other universities undertaking UROP). If you are a masters level student at another university then ordinarily you need also to be an undergraduate (studying for a first cycle qualification) to be able to apply for a room in one of our undergraduate halls of residence, and so if you are a postgraduate student (here for a short period) you are best advised to contact the Student Hub to ask whether you can still apply for a room in a hall of residence.
Rooms may be available (subject to availability). You are advised to apply at the earliest possible opportunity.
UROP participants, as with Imperial College undergraduates, are normally charged competitive rates for summer vacation accommodation (in comparison to commercial customers). Twin and single rooms are normally available (ensuite and non-ensuite) although this is not guaranteed. The halls of residences used in any one summer vacation may not be within walking distance of the South Kensington Campus so you may need to budget for travel costs to and from the campus you are hosted at. This information is subject to change.
Term-Time Accommodation (Academic Year 2016-17 and 2017-18)
For students NEW to Imperial College: If you arrange a UROP research experience to commence during Imperial College's academic year (2016-17 : 1 0ctober 2016 to 30 June 2017; 2017-18 : 30 Septmber 2017 to 29 June 2018), then it may be possible (i.e. it is not guaranteed) for the College's Student Hub to offer you a room (Term-Time) in an undergraduate hall of residence if you are an undergraduate at another university. Your chances will normally increase the later in the academic year you start your UROP. This link takes you to our current vacancies. Before applying for College Term-Time Accommodation you must possess a CID number (see here). If you are a masters level student at another university then ordinarily you need also to be an undergraduate (studying for a first cycle qualification) to be able to apply for a room in one of our undergraduate halls of residence, and so if you are a postgraduate student (here for a sort period) you are best advised to contact the Student Hub to ask whether you can still apply for a room in a hall of residence.
Private Sector Accommodation
For students NEW to Imperial College: You are strongly advised, once you have a College login/password, to review the private housing information on the Imperial College Student Hub website before commencing your search. The UROP scheme suggests that you organise temporary accommodation for the first few days of your stay in London, and to look for accommodation in person (with a friend or colleague) once you are in London. We suggest that you speak to your supervisor about any need on your part to spend some time at the start of the UROP looking for suitable accommodation.
- If your UROP continues after 30 June 2017 (end of the 2016-17 academic year) or 29 June 2018 (end of the 2017-18 academic year) consult the information above on Student Summer Vacation Accommodation.
- If your UROP continues after 22 September 2017 or 22 September 2018 you will find that the College will not normally be able to assist you with College term-time accommodation. You are advised to consult the Student Hub about Private Sector Accommodation.
- VERY IMPORTANT If you are a student who would require a student visa or short-term study visa in order to undertake your research experience then you will not be eligible to do so as a UROP participant. Please view the information here.