Engineering Studies Committee
Terms of reference
- To set the standards and framework for Imperial’s undergraduate engineering education.
- To oversee the processes of quality assurance for undergraduate engineering education.
- To monitor the provision and quality of e-learning.
- To oversee minor changes to existing programme curricula and examination structures which have been approved by Departmental Teaching Committees.
- To approve major changes to courses and/or examination structures and to approve subsequent revised programme specifications. Recommendations to Senate should be made as appropriate.
- To approve all new collaborative modules (those which are run in collaboration with another institution) and to make recommendations to Senate as appropriate. Should a Department wish to propose changes to modules which are run in collaboration with another institution the Committee must approve these regardless of whether the change is major or minor.
- To consider proposals for new courses, and the discontinuation of existing courses, and make recommendations to Senate as appropriate.
- To undertake internal reviews of new and existing courses, including annual monitoring.
- To approve new exchange arrangements and the renewal of existing exchange agreements.
Constitution and membership
- Chairman (appointed by the Dean)
- Vice-Dean (Teaching)
- Faculty of Engineering
- Vice- Provost (Education)
- Director of Student Support
- Consuls for Engineering
- Directors of Undergraduate Studies for the Faculty of Engineering
- A representative from the Centre for Co-Curricula Studies
- Business School Representative
- Director of Ancillary Teaching in Mathematics
- a College Tutor
- Academic Registrar (or nominee)
- two student representatives; with the power to co-opt
- a Vice Chairman to be elected at first meeting of each session.
It is anticipated that additional staff with specific expertise /responsibilities would be invited to attend for discussion of specific topics.
|Professor O Matar||Chairman|
|Professor P Cheung||Vice-Dean (Teaching), Faculty of Engineering|
|Professor D Humphris||Vice-Provost (Education)|
|Professor D Wright||Director of Student Support|
|Professor P Lindstedt||Consuls for Engineering|
|Professor R Jardine||Consuls for Engineering|
|Directors of Undergraduate Studies:|
|Dr R Palacios Nieto||-Aeronautics|
|Dr M Tang||-Bioengineering|
|Professor N Thornhill||-Chemical Engineering|
|Professor L Gardner||-Civil & Environmental Engineering|
|Dr Peter McBrien||-Computing|
|Dr L Craig||-Earth Science & Engineering|
|Professor T Green||-Electrical & Electronic Engineering|
|Dr A Horsfield||-Materials|
|Dr P Leevers||-Mechanical Engineering|
|Dr E Price-Davies||
Centre for Co-Curricular Studies
|Mr C Love||Business School Representative|
|Dr C Ford||Director of Ancillary Teaching in Mathematics|
|Dr M Jones||College Tutor|
|Mr D Pateman||Academic Registrar (or nominee)|
|Miss N Kempston||Student representative|
|Mr J Murphy||Student representative|
|Mr J Balloch||Deputy Academic Registrar as Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates 2015/16||Submission deadlines 2015/16|
|11 November 2015||28 October 2015|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.
Academic year 2015/16
- 11 November 2015 [pdf]
Academic year 2014/15
Academic year 2013/14
Academic year 2012/13
For committee minutes prior to 2012/13, please contact the committee secretary.