Master's Quality Committee - Medicine, Life Sciences & School of Professional Development
Terms of reference
- To advise the Senate and, where appropriate, the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC) on all matters relating to the development of postgraduate taught education.*
- To advise the Senate and, where appropriate, the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC) on changes to higher degree regulations and the developments in UK and international policy on postgraduate education.
- To implement new initiatives concerning postgraduate students as requested by the Senate and Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee (QAEC).
- To determine the standards and framework by which departments operate for postgraduate taught education.
- To oversee the processes of quality assurance for taught postgraduate degrees.
- To propose and advise on modifications to College regulations and procedures that affect postgraduate taught students.
- To consider the reviews of new and existing programmes, including those for joint postgraduate taught programmes.
- To oversee minor changes in existing programme curricula and examination structures approved by Departments.
- To approve new modules, changes in module titles, major changes in examination structure and marking schemes, and programme specifications for existing degree programmes and inform Senate.
- To review proposals for new programmes and awards, major changes in the curriculum for existing programmes, and the discontinuation of existing programmes, and make recommendations to Senate as appropriate.
- To approve marking schemes for postgraduate taught programmes.
- To approve the appointment of examiners and to consider external examiners’ reports.
- To appoint panels to consider special cases for admission and other circumstances.
- To oversee all special cases.
- To advise on matters relating to the recruitment and registration of postgraduate students.
- To oversee the professional skills development programme for postgraduate taught students in the College.
- To seek ways to develop and improve the postgraduate student experience.
- To oversee surveys that include postgraduate students.
- To have oversight of the College’s responses to postgraduate funding calls or other opportunities.
- To maintain an overview of the statistics on admissions, completion rates, withdrawals, destination statistics for students, examination irregularities (including cases of plagiarism), student appeals and disciplinaries and report these annually to Senate.
- To report to Senate.
There will be two separate committees – one for Business, Engineering & Physical Sciences (BEPS) and one for Medicine, Life Sciences & the School of Professional Development (MLSPD).
Constitution and membership
- Director and Deputy Director of Graduate School (one to be Chair)
- Deputy Chair; Vice- Provost (Education)
- Director of Student Support
- a College Consul for Natural Sciences
- a College Consul of Medicine
- a College Tutor
- a representative chosen by the Head of Department (usually the Director of Postgraduate Studies or a Course Organiser) from each of the relevant constituent departments
- one representative from the School of Professional Development
- the Academic Registrar (or nominee)
- one student representative from each of the relevant areas including the ICU Deputy President (Education) and the GSU President; with the power to co-opt.
|Professor Susan Gibson||Graduate School Director|
|Dr David McPhail||Graduate School Deputy Director (Deputy Chair)|
|Professor Debra Humphris||Vice Provost (Education)|
|Professor Denis Wright||Director of Student Support|
|Professor Andrew Parry||College Consul for Natural Sciences|
|Professor Myra McClure||College Consul for Medicine|
|Dr Mick Jones||College Tutor|
|Mr Dean Pateman||Academic Registrar|
|Professor Simon Taylor-Robinson||Department of Medicine|
|Dr Duncan Rogers||National Heart & Lung Institute|
|Dr Christine Franey||School of Public Health|
|Professor Kate Hardy||Department of Surgery & Cancer|
|Dr Kleoniki Gounaris||Department of Life Sciences|
|Dr Martyn Kingsbury||School of Professional Development|
|Ms Natalie Kempston||ICU Deputy President (Education)|
|Mr Andreas Thomik||GSU President|
|TBA||Academic & Welfare Officer – Non Faculty|
|Ms Marta Sawicka||Academic & Welfare Officer – Life Sciences|
|Ms Nuha Yassin||Academic & Welfare Officer – Medicine|
|Mr Bojan Cvijan||Quality Assurance Administrator as Secretary|
Meeting dates and deadlines
|Committee dates 2015/16||Submission deadlines 2015/16|
|12 November 2015||29 October 2015|
Agenda items (including papers) should be submitted to the committee secretary two weeks prior to the committee meeting. Papers will normally be circulated to members one week prior to the committee meeting.
Academic year 2015/16
- 12 November 2015 [pdf]
Academic year 2014/15
Academic year 2013/14
- 19 November 2013 [pdf]
- 28 January 2014 [pdf]
- 18 March 2014 [pdf]
- 3 June 2014 [pdf]
- 15 July 2014 [pdf]
Academic year 2012/13
For committee minutes prior to 2012/13, please contact the committee secretary.