Imperial is a European university with global reach. Collaborating across borders with people from different backgrounds, cultures and nationalities is what drives the world’s best universities.
President Alice Gast has repeatedly affirmed that “Imperial is, and will remain, a European university”. Imperial is providing staff and students with support and regular updates as we work to mitigate and manage the considerable uncertainty surrounding the Brexit process. Our European ambitions remain undimmed. We are growing our European collaborations. We are working to influence decision-makers in Westminster and Brussels as we campaign for access to European research networks and immigration reform that will allow science to thrive.
This page and our FAQs will be updated regularly with key developments. If you would like to receive our regular Brexit Briefings, please contact email@example.com. You can also access past Brexit Briefings in our archive. (login required)
- The UK and EU have finished the third round of negotiations over their future relationship. Both sides have said they are considering access to EU programmes such as Horizon Europe.
- Negotiations are continuing throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and the UK government remains committed to leaving the EU on 31 December 2020. For updates and information about Imperial's response to COVID-19, please see our dedicated webpages.
- Following the UK's withdrawal from the EU, there will be a transition period until at least 31 December 2020 during which no changes to current arrangements with the EU will take place. This means that during 2020:
- There will be no change to border arrangements and you can continue to travel as you do now during this time. EU/EEA/Swiss staff should apply to the EU settlement scheme to retain their right to live and work in the UK.
- There will be no changes to access to Horizon 2020 during 2020. UK researchers will continue to be eligible for funding and should continue to apply, including to ERC grants. There are still many open Horizon 2020 calls. Get in touch with the Imperial EU team to find out more.
What happens next?
- 30 June 2020 Deadline for requesting an extension to the transition period under withdrawal agreement
- 31 December 2020 End of transition period under the withdrawal agreement
- 1 January 2021 New immigration system will come into force
Information for staff
Imperial is providing information and support to staff as the UK leaves the EU. Find out about the latest information from the UK government, answers to frequently asked questions and contact points for further support.
Information for students
Imperial is working to provide current and future students from the EU/EEA with the latest information on fees, funding and immigration requirements.