The College Education Committee is a formal sub-committee of Provost’s Board, chaired by the Vice-Provost (Education and Student Experience). The Committee promotes the College’s profile as a world-leading institution, responsible for the delivery of high academic standards and an excellent student experience, and the development of a vibrant and inclusive educational culture.
It works closely with the College Research Committee, particularly in matters relating to postgraduate research, and with the Operations Committee where there are operational considerations relating to and impacting education and the student experience. It promotes the College’s profile as a world-leading institution, responsible for the delivery of high academic standards and an excellent student experience, and the development of a vibrant and inclusive educational culture.
Terms of Reference
- To oversee the education and student experience focus of the College’s Strategy and Academic Strategy
- To develop and implement strategies relating to teaching, learning and assessment, as well as the student experience to support the academic strategy
- To oversee the College’s Learning and Teaching Strategy and the resources required for its implementation
- To oversee the development of the College as an inclusive learning community, embedding equality and diversity into the educational and student experience
- To oversee the development of the College’s learning environment, including digital and physical space
- To oversee the College’s response to external regulatory requirements, such as the College’s Access and Participation Plan and the Student Protection Plan
- To determine and develop metrics to monitor and benchmark education within the College and across the sector through internal monitoring and review of processes
- To monitor external influences on the provision of education (UG, PGT and MRes) and develop appropriate responses with the College community
- To have strategic oversight of programme development and opportunities for flexible credit and non-credit bearing provision across the College
- To identify, prioritise and recommend development requests for the ICT Learning and Teaching product delivery lines, to support and enhance the technological infrastructure for education delivery
- To oversee proposals for educational partnerships and review due diligence
- To oversee the College’s professional development support for education
- To establish Committees and Working Groups as appropriate
- To report regularly to Provost’s Board, as well as ad hoc (as required)
- Vice-Provost (Education and Student Experience), Professor Emma McCoy – Chair
- Vice-Deans (Education): Leila Guerra (Business School), Professor Jason Riley (Engineering), Martin Lupton (Medicine) and Professor Richard Thompson (Natural Sciences)
- Deputy President Education (Imperial College Union), Daniel Lo
- Head of Strategic Projects and Operations (Education Office and Academic Services), Hailey Smith
- Director of the Centre for Higher Education Research, Professor Martyn Kingsbury
- Director of the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication, Dr Ana Costa-Periera
- Acting Director of Strategic Planning, Anna Shierson
- Academic Registrar and Chair of the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee, David Ashton
- Director of Library Services and Assistant Provost (Space), Chris Banks
- Director of Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions, Lizzie Burrows
- Director of Student Services, Hannah Bannister
- Associate Provost (Academic Partnerships), Professor Maggie Dallman
- Assistant Provost (Learning and Teaching), Professor Alan Spivey
- Director of the Graduate School, Professor Yun Xu
- Education Projects Officer (Education Office), Ewan Roberts - Secretary
Other colleagues may also attend meetings for specific agenda items.
- Student Experience Committee
- Teaching and Learning Product Board
Meetings and paper deadlines
Summaries will be made available shortly after each meeting and can be accessed by clicking on the relevant meeting date below.
Meeting dates and paper deadlines
2021/22 meeting dates and paper deadlines
|Meeting date||Paper deadline|
|19 October 2021||12 October 2021|
|18 November 2021||9 November 2021|
|16 December 2021||7 December 2021|
|20 January 2022||11 January 2022|
|17 February 2022||8 February 2022|
|17 March 2022||8 March 2022|
|12 April 2022||4 April 2022|
|12 May 2022||3 May 2022|
|9 June 2022||31 May 2022|
|7 July 2022||28 June 2022|
Please ensure that your paper has been approved by a member of the committee before submission and that is no longer than 3-4 pages in length. Any additional material should be added as an appendix and all papers should include the Education Committee coversheet at the start.
We encourage all papers to meet the following accessibility guidelines:
- Consistent heading styles should be used to indicate grouping and add hierarchy to your content.
- All figures, tables, charts etc (including in appendices) are required to be clearly and consistently labelled.
- All link text must be clear, descriptive, and understandable without contextual content (do not use click here or include the URL).
Please note, if required, it is the item lead's responsibility to ensure a fully accessible version of the paper submitted to Education Committee is available on request.
To ensure accessibility, papers can be checked against the College's guidance on publishing accessible documents. Additionally, the latest version of Office (365) has an accessibility checker that highlights issues and solutions. To access, click on the Review tab within the document and then click Check Accessibility.