Education and Student Experience Committee
Terms of Reference
The Education and Student Experience Committee reports to Academic Strategy Committee (ASC). It seeks to raise the College’s international profile in learning and teaching by overseeing the development of strategies to deliver high academic standards and an excellent student experience, as well as promoting a vibrant and inclusive learning culture. The Committee works with the Research and Enterprise Committee, the Operations and Infrastructure Committee, and the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee.
The Committee’s major function is to oversee:
- The College’s Learning and Teaching Strategy and the education and student experience foci of the College Strategy and the Academic Strategy.
- The development of the College as an inclusive learning community.
- Participation in the College’s response to external regulatory requirements and the development of metrics to monitor and benchmark education.
- The monitoring of external influences on the provision of undergraduate and taught postgraduate education and the development of appropriate responses.
- The monitoring of educational and student experience provision for research postgraduate students in partnership with the Research Committee.
- Strategic programme development across the College, including making recommendations on proposals to ASC.
- Proposals for strategic educational initiatives, such as partnerships and spaces, including making recommendations to ASC.
- The College’s professional development support for education and the student experience.
The Committee is supported by its sub-groups: Teaching and Learning (Product) Board, Education Space Committee, Student Surveys Action Planning Group, Student Experience Forum, Admissions Committee, and Student Activities Board.
- Interim Vice-Provost (Education and Student Experience), Professor Peter Haynes – Chair
- Vice-Deans (Education): Leila Guerra (Business School), Professor Jason Riley (Engineering), Martin Lupton (Medicine) and Dr Mike Tennant (Natural Sciences)
- Deputy President Education (Imperial College Union), Jason Zheng
- Director of the Education Office and Head of Strategic Projects (Education Office and Academic Services), Philip Power
- Director of the Centre for Higher Education Research, Professor Martyn Kingsbury
- Director of the Centre for Languages, Culture and Communication, Dr Ana Costa-Pereira
- Director of Strategic Planning, Anna Shierson
- Academic Registrar and Chair of the Quality Assurance and Enhancement Committee, David Ashton
- Director of Library Services, Chris Banks
- Director of Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions, Lizzie Burrows
- Director of Student Services, Hannah Bannister
- Associate Provost (Academic Partnerships), Professor Maggie Dallman
- Assistant Provost (Learning and Teaching), Professor Alan Spivey
- Director of the Graduate School, Professor Yun Xu
- Director of Membership Services (Imperial College Union), Cat Turhan
- Education Projects Officer (Education Office), Ewan Roberts – Secretary
- Head of Education and Student Experience Strategy (Faculty of Engineering), Chris Harris
- Head of Education and Student Experience (Faculty of Natural Sciences), Rebecca Middleton
- Director, Education Quality (Business School), Veronica Russell / Karen Tweddle
- Programme Director, Education (Faculty of Medicine), Vanessa Powell
- Head of Academic Services, Judith Webster
- Centre Manager (Centre for Language, Culture, and Communication) Mel Mullin / Claire Stapley
- Head of Centre for Academic English, Dr Julie King
- Head of Central Timetabling, Helena Smith
- Head of Strategy and Operations (Graduate School), Laura Lane
Meetings and paper deadlines
Summaries will be made available shortly after each meeting and can be accessed by clicking on the relevant meeting date below.
Meeting dates and paper deadlines
2021/22 meeting dates and paper deadlines
|Meeting date||Paper deadline|
|19 October 2021||12 October 2021|
|18 November 2021||9 November 2021|
|16 December 2021||7 December 2021|
|20 January 2022||11 January 2022|
|17 February 2022||8 February 2022|
|17 March 2022||8 March 2022|
|12 April 2022||4 April 2022|
|12 May 2022||3 May 2022|
|9 June 2022||31 May 2022|
|7 July 2022||28 June 2022|
|18 August 2022||9 August 2022|
|15 September 2022||6 September 2022|
2022/23 meeting dates and paper deadlines
|Meeting date||Paper deadline|
|11 October 2022||3 October 2022|
|10 November 2022||1 November 2022|
|8 December 2022||29 November 2022|
|19 January 2023||10 January 2023|
|16 February 2023||7 February 2023|
|16 March 2023||7 March 2023|
|19 April 2023||10 April 2023|
|25 May 2023||16 May 2023|
|22 June 2023||13 June 2023|
|20 July 2023||11 July 2023|
2023/2024 meetings dates and paper deadlines
|Meeting date||Paper deadline|
|28 September 2023||19 September 2023|
|15 November 2023||6 November 2023|
|24 January 2024||15 January 2024|
|20 March 2024||11 March 2024|
|9 May 2024||30 April 2024|
|3 July 2024||24 June 2024|
Please ensure that your paper has been approved by a member of the Committee before submission and that is no longer than 3-4 pages in length. Any additional material should be added as an appendix and all papers should include the Education and Student Experience Committee coversheet at the start.
We encourage all papers to meet the following accessibility guidelines:
- Consistent heading styles should be used to indicate grouping and add hierarchy to your content.
- All figures, tables, charts etc (including in appendices) are required to be clearly and consistently labelled.
- All link text must be clear, descriptive, and understandable without contextual content (do not use click here or include the URL).
Please note, if required, it is the item lead's responsibility to ensure a fully accessible version of the paper submitted to the Committee is available on request.
To ensure accessibility, papers can be checked against the College's guidance on publishing accessible documents. Additionally, the latest version of Office (365) has an accessibility checker that highlights issues and solutions. To access, click on the Review tab within the document and then click Check Accessibility.