for the spring term is open now
If you require help with a specific piece of academic writing or an oral presentation, the Centre offers 1:1 consultations with a STEMM communication expert. We will work with you to help you identify and understand language areas for improvement. This means analysing your work at the text, sentence and word level (e.g. organisation, grammar, vocabulary or pronunciation) in order to guide you towards resolving these issues for yourself longer term. Please note that consultations are not available for any internal documents that will contribute towards your degree, such as doctoral Early Stage Assessment reports.
When booking you will be able to select a consultation to discuss the following:
- a research paper for publication
- a grant proposal or funding bid
- a fellowship application
- a REF submission
- a conference presentation
How to book
How to book
Step 1: Use our online booking system to select your appointment date/time and fill in the requested personal details. Please note that the earliest a consultation can be booked is 5 weeks in advance and the latest is 2 weeks in advance.
Step 2: You will then receive an automated booking confirmation via email with all consultation details.
Step 3: As soon as you have received your email confirmation,
- if it is a writing consultation, please send the tutor the text you are working on (maximum 1,000 words and at least 7 days before the appointment) and let them know which key language areas you wish to discuss.
- if it is a presentation consultation, please send the tutor your slides and let them know which key language areas you wish to discuss.
Consultations only run during term time.
This is not a proofreading service.
The maximum number of consultations per term is 2 (two 30-min slots or a 1-h slot). This is to allow as many people as possible to benefit from this service.
For each consultation (30 min or 1 h) the text must be 1000 words maximum.
Business School members: please contact the Business School directly about 1:1 support.