Consultations and drop-ins
for the spring term (23 January to 17 March)
Open from 22 December to 1 March
Open from 10 January to 17 March
The booking links will appear in the boxes below.
Our goal is to help all members of Imperial College London achieve excellent academic STEMM communication. We offer two kinds of 1:1 support as summarised below.
Please note that neither of the below are a proofreading service. They are opportunities for you to speak to an academic STEMM communication expert to help you understand how you can improve your communication.
Consultations and drop-ins
Online consultations (through MS Teams)
- These are 30-minute 1:1 appointments to discuss external texts and presentations only, such as texts for journal publication, grant proposals, fellowship applications or conference presentations.
- Offered during term time on a first come, first served basis. The earliest you can book is 5 weeks in advance and the latest is 2 weeks in advance.
- You are allowed to book a maximum of two 30-minute slots per term.
- You must email either a written extract (maximum 1,000 words) or a set of presentation slides to the tutor one week in advance of the session and state where you are planning to submit your text or deliver your presentation.
- Once we have received your text or slides, we will identify the main language and communication issues. In the appointment, you will be guided towards resolving these issues.
Online drop-ins (through MS Teams)
- These are 15-minute 1:1 appointments to discuss how to improve your communication skills.
- The focus is on communicating more effectively in the context of your Imperial degree programme, research or academic role.
- You can receive general guidance on how to improve your academic writing or speaking, or you can check which course(s)/workshop(s) you would benefit from. If you feel it would help the discussion, you are welcome to bring a short sample of your Imperial work (e.g. a report, review, dissertation, assessed presentation, viva).
- Drop-ins are offered during term time on a first come, first served basis. The earliest you can book is 2 weeks in advance and the latest is 1 hour in advance.
- Although you can only book one appointment at a time, we may offer you a follow-up appointment. Please note that you can only book 2 appointments per term for fairness to other College members.
- Please note that we do not offer consultations for job or study/course applications (e.g. personal statements). Please register for our Improving your CV/covering letter session or contact the Careers service.
- The Business School requests that their students and staff contact the Global Skills Development team in the Business School about their equivalent to the Centre for Academic English provision.