Booking for consultations is now open. Booking for drop-ins will open on 5 October.
Our goal is to help all members of Imperial College London achieve excellent academic STEMM communication. We offer two kinds of 1:1 support as summarised below. Please note that neither of the below are a proofreading service. They are opportunities for you to speak to an academic STEMM communication expert to help you understand how you can improve your communication.
Booking links will appear in the boxes below as soon as booking opens.
Consultations and drop-ins
Online consultations (through Microsoft Teams)
- Specialised 30-minute 1:1 appointments for discussing external texts and presentations only (e.g. texts for publication, grant proposals, fellowship applications, conference presentations, etc.).
- Offered during term time on a first come, first served basis. The earliest you can book is 5 weeks in advance and the latest is 2 weeks in advance.
- You are allowed to book a maximum of two 30-minute slots per term.
- You must email either a written extract (maximum 1,000 words) or a set of presentation slides to the tutor one week in advance of the session you have booked and provide a summary of where you are planning to submit your text or deliver your presentation.
- Once the tutor has received your text or slides, they will analyse them in preparation for the appointment and identify what the main language and communication issues are (e.g. organisation, grammar, vocabulary or pronunciation). At the time of the appointment, the tutor will call you on Microsoft Teams. In the appointment, the tutor will guide you towards resolving these issues yourself longer term.
Online drop-ins (through Microsoft Teams)
- Short 15-minute 1:1 appointments for discussing how to improve your communication skills with one of our team based on your experiences on your Imperial College London degree course.
- You may bring a sample of your writing or speaking from an Imperial College London degree course assignment to the appointment (e.g. reports, reviews, dissertations, assessed presentations and vivas). The tutor will use the sample to provide general guidance on how you can improve and will refer you to any of our courses that you would benefit from.
- Offered during term time on a first come, first served basis. The earliest you can book is 2 weeks in advance and the latest is 1 hour in advance.
- You should only book one appointment at a time. Further bookings can be discussed in your appointment.
- The tutor will call you on Microsoft Teams at the time of the appointment. In the appointment, they will discuss your questions with you and briefly look at any materials you have brought to the appointment. They will then recommend follow up actions and/or courses for you to take to improve your academic STEMM communication.
- Please note that we do not offer consultations for job or study/course applications (e.g. personal statements). Please register for our Improving your CV/covering letter session or contact the Careers service.
- Business School members: please contact the Global Skills Development team in the Business School about 1:1 support.