Practise speaking in guided group sessions
Join our live sessions to rehearse and interact with others
Come to our live sessions to work with other College members on your speaking and listening skills.
- Try out a presentation in front of an audience
- Upgrade your networking strategies
- Rehearse seminar interactions
- Practise taking questions on a poster you've made
You have the flexibility to choose single 1-hour highly-interactive sessions from the suites below, or to 'stack' the sessions and build your own portfolio of practice opportunities.
Register below and and check this web page on the day for any changes to venue etc.
Our speaking and listening practice sessions
Presenting your work
This suite of 4 'Presenting your work' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- prepare, practise and rehearse for presenting your work
- consider how to become a more confident and effective communicator
This suite of 4 'Information transfer' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- practise finding the precise words you need to explain more complex information with greater ease and fluency.
This suite of 4 'Speaking interactions' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- develop strategies to participate more meaningfully in fast-moving, everyday conversation.
This suite of 4 'Lecture listening' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- develop an understanding of the challenges you'll encounter when you attend lectures
- explore strategies to overcome the difficulties you might face
- practise discussing content and asking questions
Stand up and speak
This suite of 4 'Stand up and speak' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- develop your diction and delivery by working in small groups to practise your public speaking skills
- receive feedback as you try out different techniques to get your voice and message across more clearly
S&L practice sessions 2
Grammar for speaking
This suite of 8 'Grammar for speaking' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- improve your accuracy and control over the language you need to communicate effectively
- practise using common structures spontaneously in speech
- develop your ability to apply relevant sentence patterns to specific situations
Succeeding at Imperial
- have the opportunity to rehearse activities that take place at ICL and beyond
- build your confidence
- develop key skills
- reflect on and understand how to move your oral communication skills forward
Sessions this term are:
2. CfAE cafe
3. Poster presentations on the topic of 'Sustainability'
4. Reading circles
Engaging in seminars/group work
Coming soon: This suite of 4 'Engaging in seminars/group work' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- employ active listening strategies to manage challenging discussions
- check meaning, ask questions and add your voice and thoughts to the discussion
This suite of 8 'Pronunciation' practice sessions has been designed to help you:
- focus on the clarity of sounds, words and connected speech in order to ensure you're understood by all in the international community
- employ sentence stress, rhythm and intonation to communicate meaning more effectively.
When and where are our practice sessions?
Showing results for:
No events are currently scheduled
Other speaking and listening opportunities
The Business School requests that their students and staff contact their Global Skills Development team about their equivalent to the Centre for Academic English provision.