We offer an extensive range of training courses, from Software and Data Carpentry courses that teach core research IT skills, though to specialised courses on programming and applications. Below is a list of upcoming courses. You will also find some general training links and a list of past courses.
If you have any questions please contact the training coordinator Katerina Michalickova. We also welcome suggestions regarding new training topics.
Remote - Beginner's Guide to HPC - April 22, 2020
The course will provide a hands-on introduction to the HPC systems at the College. The class is intended for HPC newbies, we'll start with the very basics of cluster computing. After the introductory part, we'll log in for guided practice.
- Some knowledge of the Linux command line. You need to know the file management commands (pwd, mkdir, cd, cp, mv, rm, cat, head, tail) and the nano text editor.
- Access to the Imperial HPC resource. You have to ask your supervisor to register you online as per instructions below. http://www.imperial.ac.uk/admin-services/ict/self-service/research-support/rcs/support/getting-started/
- Please make sure you have a computer, headphones and microphone.
- Install and test Imperial VPN (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/admin-services/ict/self-service/connect-communicate/remote-access/virtual-private-network-vpn).
- Make sure that you have access to the HPC cluster (http://www.imperial.ac.uk/admin-services/ict/self-service/research-support/rcs/support/getting-started/). Note: This has to be done at least one day before the class.
- Install FileZilla for file transfer (https://filezilla-project.org).
- If on a Windows laptop, install Putty (http://www.putty.org) for remote login to the HPC cluster. Alternatively, enable the Bash shell on Windows 10 (https://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to-install-and-use-the-linux-bash-shell-on-windows-10/); this is preferable to Putty.
- systems at Imperial
- file transfer
- module system for available software
- file management on the clusters
- queue system
- job parameters
- serial job script
- input and output files
- hands on serial job
- multiple serial job script
- hands on multiple serial job
|April 22, 2020||14:00-16:30||Zoom class||Katerina Michalickova from the Graduate School|
NEW! Research Computing and Data Science classes at the Graduate School are remote and open to all students and staff
The Research Computing and Data Science Programme at the Graduate School is taught remotely and is open for registration for students and staff. Please visit the site for the list of classes and registration links.
The research postgraduates are advised to register via the Graduate School.
General training links
General training links
ARCHER is UK National Supercomputing Service. The ARCHER training team delivers HPC classes at various universities including Imperial and UCL.
ARCHER training page with links to past events and teaching materials.
|ARCHER Virtual Tutorials and Webinars||
Several virtual tutorials and webminars offered by the ARCHER service. They take place usually at 15:00 UK time on Wednesdays.ARCHER Virtual Tutorials and Webinars with links to past sessions.
|Science and Technology Facilities Council||Latest events.|
|Science and Engineering South||Events list.|