Blackboard Learn (Virtual Learning Environment)
Blackboard Learn by anthology
Blackboard Learn is the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) used at Imperial College. Staff and students automatically have access. You can use Blackboard to:
- Deliver courses online
- Communicate to staff and students through online discussion
- Set and receive assignments, tests and surveys
- Track progress and manage grades
Help for Students
Help for Students
Teaching materials are delivered to students in Blackboard through courses. To participate in a course you will need to be enrolled; this is administered by your Faculty or Department. If you are not enrolled on a course that you believe you should be, then contact your Departmental Office or Course Leader and they will be able to help. If there is a technical issue, then they can raise this with ICT on your behalf.
If there is incorrect or missing information on a course, then this should also be reported to either your Course Leader or Departmental Office.
Courses that you are enrolled upon will be displayed in the My Courses module on the My Home page. This is the first page that you see once you have logged in to Blackboard and is the main navigational screen. On the My Home page, each area is a Module and additional ones can be added by selecting Add Module.
My Courses module
Courses that you are enrolled upon will appear in this module, divided by academic year and course role.
If you have a large number of courses displayed here, you can edit this to display fewer courses. To do this, hover over the My Course module and then click the cog icon that appears in the top right-hand corner. The Personalise: My Courses page gives you different display options for you to configure.
- To remove a course, deselect the Course Name and select Submit.
- Selecting Group by Term will group your course list by academic year.
- You can drag and drop a course to change the display order.
Self-Enrolment and the Course Catalogue
Some courses require you to self-enrol in order to participate and your Course Leader will be able to advise you further on joining instructions for these courses. Please follow the steps below to enrol on a self-enrolment course:
- Go to bb.imperial.ac.uk, enter your College username and password and select Login
- Select the Courses tab in the top right corner of your screen, next to My Blackboard
- Use the Course Search field to search for the required course in the Course Catalogue
- Click on the course name, select Enrol and then Submit to self-enrol on the course
- Click OK to confirm enrolment
- Click on the course link to access the course. You will now be able to interact with the course in the same way as other courses in Blackboard.