Banner Integration to Teams
College uses Banner as its student information system. Banner uses Integration Partner Flags to link to other systems.
What are Integration Partner Flags?
When enabled, an Integration Partner Flag creates a link between a module in Banner and one of the following teaching and learning products:
- Blackboard – creates a Course
- Panopto – creates a Folder
- Microsoft Teams - creates a Team with the Class template
Changes that are made in Banner, such as student enrolments, will update the corresponding course, folder, or team in the different products.
Creating a team for a module
To create a team for a module section in Banner, the Faculty Ed-Tech Team will complete the request form, the curriculum data team will update the record in Banner, and then the integration will create or update in Teams.
Please consider the following conditions:
- If the flag is added to a module, the interface will create a team for each module section.
- If an end term is specified, the integration will cease updating Teams once the end term is reached.
- If disabled, the integration will cease updating Teams. It will NOT remove a team.
- If a request is made to change a Banner module record, the request MUST also specify that the change is applied to Teams, Panopto or Blackboard. The change will not be applied automatically.
- The Ed-Tech Team may request more team owners are added, this is a manual task performed by a member of the Identify and Trust Team of ICT.
- If the Team is for a Cross List module there is variation and a manual activity required.
Changes to a Team for a Module
Please see below for details on how changes should be made to Teams.
When a change is made in Banner to the:
Module name – the corresponding Team name will change in MS Teams.
Module Leader – this change will not be made in the Team. A module leader is only added automatically from the information in Banner, as a Team Owner, when the Team is initially created.
To a student enrolment – changes to student enrolment will be represented in the Team. More information for student enrolment can be found in help materials.
When a change is made in MS Teams to a Team created for a Banner Module:
- Team is deleted – if the integration partner flag is enabled the Team will be recreated as a new Team; not linked to the one that was deleted. If the integration partner flag is no longer enabled, the Team will be permanently deleted.
- Team name is altered – the altered Team name would be overwritten by the module information held in Banner next time the interface ran, which would be the next time a change was made to the Banner record, so there might be a period where the team name were to be visible.
- Channel is deleted – the standard channels for a Class type Team will be automatically recreated. Additional channels added by Team owners will be permanently deleted.
- Channel is altered – the standard channels for a Class type Team will be automatically recreated. Additional channels added by Team owners will remain as altered.
- Tabs – Standard Tabs for the Class type Team cannot be removed. Tabs added by Team Owners can be altered as required.
- Team Owner added in MS Teams– team owners added in MS Teams will not be affected by the interface.
- Team Owner added in Banner – the module leader will be added as a Team owner by the interface.
- Team Owner removed in MS Teams – if the Module Leader that is attached to the Module in Banner is removed, they will be automatically restored when the interface next runs for the record. If the removed Team Owner is not attached to the Module in Banner, they will be permanently removed from the Team.
- Team Member removed – if the Team Member attached to the Module in Banner (i.e. a student) is removed, they will be automatically restored when the interface next runs for the record. If the Team Member is not attached to the Module in Banner, they will be permanently removed from the Team.
When a change is made in Active Directory
Changes to the personal details of both Team Owners and Team Members are altered.