Creating and managing a Team
A Team can be created for any Imperial College module and can contain any relevant content. A Team can also be created for Cross-list modules, to facilitate teaching events that cover multiple modules. Teams are automatically created for the associated module from the information held in Banner (the Imperial College student records system) once the Module has been opted in by the Department.
For a Module to be opted in, staff should contact their Departmental Module Administrator, who will liaise with Registry to ensure a Team is automatically created. For Modules that need to be opted out, the same process should be followed.
If you need to create a Team for a course that is not listed in Banner, or for any other reason, please see the help materials on this subject for further information.
Create a Cross-list Team
A Cross-list Team is a single Team that is shared across more than one Banner module. They can be used to group together associated modules into a Team. Students will be added as Members to a Cross-list Team automatically, based on the student enrolment information for each module held in Banner. Staff will need to be added as Owners to a Cross-list Team manually. If you require Cross-list Teams to be created, please submit a request via ASK and complete and attach a spreadsheet with the relevant information listed below when making the request.
- Department – 4 character code for the Department
- Department Module code – The module code as it appears in Banner
- Cross-list code – The cross-list code as it appears in Banner.
- Cross-list name – The name of the cross-list that will appear in Teams
- Administrator – List the usernames of staff that should be added as Team Owners, separated by a comma. This field may contain any member of staff, but not students.
Activating a Team
When a Team is initially created, it will be inactive. A member of staff with the Owner role must activate the Team so that it is available to students.
To activate a Team, carry out the following steps:
- Open the Teams app and select the Teams tab from the left-hand side menu
- Select the Team that you would like to make active
- If the Team is inactive, a message will display: “Your class isn’t visible to students yet.” Select Activate to make the Team available to students.
Note: Once activated, a team cannot be deactivated.
Renaming a Team
A Team name should not be altered through the Teams app. If changed manually, the name will automatically revert to the information held in Banner. If you need to make changes to a Team name, this should be carried in Banner by liaising with your Department Module Administrator.
Deleting a Team
If it is necessary to permanently delete a Team, the Module must be opted out via Banner first. To opt-out a Module, please liaise with your Department Module Administrator who will carry out this step on your behalf. Once this has been completed, follow the Microsoft Teams support guide for deleting a Team.
Note: After deletion, any uploaded content or member interactions associated with the Team will be lost.