Share and manage Panopto folders
Folders are the main organisational tool used in Panopto.
- Anyone with an Imperial College user account can be given permission to either view (Viewer) or edit (Creator) the content of a folder.
- Access to a folder is administered by users that have the Creator permission to that folder.
- A Panopto folder contains recordings and sub-folders. Sub-folders inherit the permissions of the parent folder immediately above unless the access is specifically changed for a sub-folder.
ICT do not give users access to folders or administer the recordings contained within them. It is the responsibility of the content owner (Creator) to organise access to Panopto content folders. If you require either Viewer or Creator access to a folder, then contact the owner. This might be the responsibility of your Course Leader, Ed-Tech team or your Departmental Office.
To navigate through folders that you have access to, select Browse on the left-hand side of the screen. This will display All Folders and My Folders, allowing you to navigate to the desired folder. If a folder appears greyed out, it means that you have access to a sub-folder somewhere within that folders hierarchy: click on the arrow next to the folder to explore.
Panopto folders are automatically created for an Imperial College accredited module, based on the information held in Banner (the Imperial College student records system). Please see the Banner integration support page for more information.
Manage Panopto folders
Sharing Panopto content folders
Navigate to the required folder and select the Share icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
This screen provides you with a viewing link. Copy, paste and send the link to the intended viewers and they will be able to directly access the folder.
If you select Embed, an embed code is displayed, allowing you to add the recordings to webpages and Blackboard courses. If adding to a Blackboard course, the folder will need to be setup with the correct viewer access permissions for the students enrolled on the corresponding Blackboard course.
The Who can access this folder section lists what type of access is set for that folder, who can access the folder and what level of access they have.
- Inherited – The folder retains the same Viewer and Creator permissions as the parent folder.
- Restricted – Only users or groups listed in this section have access. Creators can make any changes and edit any content within this folder. Viewers can view any content within the folder.
- Your Organization (unlisted) – Any user with an Imperial College account can view this folder and its content provided they have the link.
- Your Organization - Any user with an Imperial College account can view this folder and its content, and it can be searched for within the Panopto navigation interface.
To give users access, enter their name, username or email address in the Add people and groups field and select the appropriate level of access. If required, the user can be notified by email.
You can also give access to groups and distribution lists using the same method. Once a distribution list has been created, it will appear in Panopto after 24 hours.
Note: When adding users, always wait for the drop-down list to appear and select from that. Do not just add their credentials.
For further details on sharing Panopto folders, please see the Panopto support page.
Manage Panopto content folders
Renaming a folder
Panopto content folders can be renamed. Navigate to the folder and then to the Settings of the folder by selecting the cog in the top right of the screen. By the name field, select Edit and enter the new name.
Changing the parent folder
Panopto content folders can be moved to another folder that you have creator access to. Please be aware that access permissions will remain the same and will not be inherited from the new parent folder. Navigate to the folder and then to the Settings of the folder by selecting the cog in the top right of the screen. By the Parent Folder field, select Edit and select the new parent folder from the drop-down menu.
Creating a subfolder
You can create a subfolder by selecting Add folder from within any Panopto folder. Alternatively, you can use the blue Create button and select New Folder.
Notes on naming folders
When naming a folder try to incorporate as much information as possible and follow any naming convention set by your Faculty or Department. A folder will often contain the content for a course in Blackboard and students may not be aware of terminology used in Panopto. You may want to include the following:
- Faculty/Department Name
- Academic Year
- Course Code/Name
Folder download settings
For each of your folders you have the option to make recordings available for viewers to download as Podcasts. If enabled, Viewers will be able to download all content within the folder to their personal device. This setting is disabled by default.
If you would like to change how recordings are displayed when downloaded, this can be done for each individual recording. Please view the manage and edit recording page for more information.
To enable recordings to be downloaded carry out the following steps:
- Navigate to a folder and select the Settings cog.
- Go to Settings tab on the folder menu
- Under the Downloads section, select the required setting:
- No one – no user can download content from this folder, however, this setting can be overridden by users with creator access to the folder.
- Admins only – Only permit site-wide system admins to download
- Admins, videographers and creator only – Only users with roles that are held by staff can download: videographers are generally Faculty Learning Technologists. Creators must be assigned access to the folder to be able to download content.
Authenticated users with access – Allows viewers (students) to download content and all other user types providing they have access to the folder. Choose this option if you want students to download recordings in this folder.
For further details on download settings for Panopto folders, please see the Panopto support page.
Podcast Subscription/RSS feed
Viewers can access an RSS feed of MP4 Podcasts for a folder by selecting the RSS feed button in the top right-hand corner of a folder. From this they can subscribe to the folder and receive notifications when new content is released. This setting is disabled by default.
To turn the RSS feature off or on, carry out the following steps:
- Navigate to a folder and select the Settings cog.
- Go to Settings tab on the folder menu
- Ensure that Enable podcast feed is ticked
If you want to provide an RSS link for students to use, it is best to do this for a whole folder by selecting the folder, selecting the RSS icon and choosing the option you require.
Note: To access the podcast feed, subscribers will need to use a browser-based RSS reader. RSS readers are not supported by ICT.
Panopto Assignment folder
The Panopto Assignment Folder provides staff with the ability to create a subfolder in an existing folder that students can upload their own recordings to.
The student submissions to the Assignment Folder can be viewed by their tutor and, if required, shared with other students of the parent folder.
To give students access to the assignment folder function, they must first be added as a Viewer to the parent folder that will contain the assignment folder.
Creating an Assignment Folder
- Go to the Settings of the parent folder for the course
- On the Overview screen, click on the button labeled "Create Assignment Folder"
- Once the assignment folder is created, you will see a new link that is <name of folder> [assignments]
- On the main folder page, you will see that the folder has been added as a subfolder to the original with the word "[assignments]" appended to the end.
- Now students that have viewer access to the original folder in this example will be able to add content to the newly created [assignments] folder.
Allow all users in an assignment folder to view other users' content
This allows all viewers (students) to view other users’ content that has been uploaded to an assignment folder. By default, this setting is not activated.
Click on Settings for an assignment folder and select the Allow viewers to see each other’s sessions tick box.
Closing an assignment folder
An assignment folder can be closed to new submissions. This will prevent viewers uploading further content and only folder creators will still be able to view the content.
- Go to the folder settings
- On the Overview screen, scroll down to where it says Assignment Folder. Select Close.
Details on submitting recordings to an Assignment Folder can be found on the Panopto Assignment Folder (students) page.
Folder Batch Tasks (Rollover)
Panopto allows for certain folder processes to be performed in batch. This functionality can prove especially useful when needing to rollover content from one folder to another at the end of the academic year.
Panopto folder batch tasks can only be performed by users with the Creator permission to a Panopto folder.
To perform a batch task, navigate to the appropriate folder in Panopto and select a recording by clicking on the tick box that appears when you hover the mouse cursor over the preview image of a recording.
Select as many recordings as required within that folder. Alternatively, all the recordings in a folder can be selected by ticking the Select all/None option. After selecting your recording(s) you will notice that there are additional options available to Delete, Copy, Move or Share.
- Delete – Delete the selected recording(s) to the Panopto Recycle Bin.
- Move – Move the selected recording(s) to another folder. After clicking on Move, select the new folder and then Move.
- Copy - Copy the selected recording(s) to another folder, keeping the original recording in the current folder. After clicking on Copy, select the new folder and then Move.
- Share - Change the sharing permissions of selected recordings. Please see the ICT help materials on sharing recordings in Panopto for more information.