Module Registrations Management
Module Registrations Management enables authorised department staff to manage changes to student module registrations, supporting the maintenance of Banner as the source of truth for module registrations and providing a shared visible record across College.
Banner module registrations set-up
Student Records will register students in Banner for their 2020-21 core modules. Student elective module registrations for 2020-21 will be collected from Departments for upload by Student Records into Banner. Following the upload, changes to a student's elective module registrations should be managed by authorised staff using the new Module Registrations Management responsibility. Please note:
- Referral students – resitting the assessment components of the module will not have any module registration for the 2020-21 AY whilst they are going through their results and progression process. They should still have access to the same year (2019-20) teaching materials until their assessment is recorded against their 2019-20 module registration. All referral students will have an enrolled record status of NR (Not Required) for current year (their module registration will still sit in the previous year that teaching occurred) and departments will not be able to add module registrations. You are able to see if results have been returned and the student has been progressed from the Banner Student Enquiry Form.
- Retakes - modules can be added for full or part year retakes as these students are fully accessing teaching for current year, seen as a fresh attempt. They will have an ES (Enrolled) status for 2020-21AY.
- Horizons - CLCC will return all Horizons student module registrations to Student Records for upload.
- Occasional students - module registrations can either be provided to Student Records for upload or entered into Module Registrations Management directly.
- Short course students - don’t currently exist in Banner and access to course materials should be provided directly as previous years.
- Interruption of studies - recognised by College as a pause in study and consequently a pause in tuition fee liability. Students on IoS do not have access to modules being taught at this time. Once the student re-enrols they will be registered for all relevant modules.
- Programme Transfers - students transferring to a new programme do not have access to the new programme's modules until their transfer date. ATAS clearance or visa documentation may be required.
Reviewing module set-up
The Banner Module Catalogue or ICA Dashboards>Banner Interim>Curriculum Dashboard>Module Data report enables review and to highlight any module set-up discrepancies to the Curriculum Data Management team: email@example.com. The main impacts on module registrations are correct Term of delivery; Section status (A=active; S=suspended; W=withdrawn) and Integration Partner Flags.
Module integration partner flags
An auto integration has been put in place from Banner to Blackboard, Panopto and Teams, which will update in real-time to one-hour. A report is available from ICA reporting - Dashboards> Banner Interim>Curriculum Dashboard>Module Integration Partners - to show whether modules have a Banner ‘Integration flag’ set to Yes or No to pass module section and student on section data to these three downstream partner systems.
Each system partner integration flag signifies the creation of a course folder in the partner system and whether to keep syncing information as it changes in Banner. Partner integration flags are by default set to inactive for new modules created. To amend the status of a Banner partner system integration flag, please discuss with your Faculty EdTechs, and communicate changes to Panopto and Blackboard flags using the online form or by spreadsheet to the Curriculum Data Management Team. Changes to Teams flags are communicated to ICT Graeme Garred via EdTechs using a spreadsheet.
Partner system access
Students registered on modules in Banner for 'credit' or 'extra credit' will enable a Student enrolment in Blackboard, and Panopto and Teams. Students registered on modules as 'not assessed' will enable an Auditor enrolment in Blackboard, and Panopto and Teams. Dropping or deleting a student's module registration in Banner will disable the Blackboard course enrolment, hide it from student view, and remove the student from the associated module distribution lists. Access can be restored by registering the student in Banner on the module.
The Module Registrations Report is available via ICA reporting - Dashboards>Banner Interim>Registration, Progression and Outcomes>Module Registration tab - to filter by Term to see which students are registered on which programmes and modules.
Panopto module Staff DLs (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org) have been added to Student DLs (eg. email@example.com) for the purpose of staff being aware of student email comms.
The Module Lead in Banner is automatically added via the Module Integration to the associated Staff DL and can add other staff members. Alternatively, Department Admin can send a list of requested staff via ASK to be added to Staff DLs, or for themselves (or generic team email eg. firstname.lastname@example.org) be added so that the Admin member can add other staff.
Details on how to add staff to the relevant Staff DL (<Subject Code><Module Code>-<term>-staff-dl) is available.
Access and support
Access to Module Registratons Management for staff will be via My Imperial (https://my.imperial.ac.uk) using your College single sign-on. Staff members who require access should complete the request form from the Access and Training page.
Upcoming training demos are listed on the Access and Training page, open to all staff members who are involved in the management of student module registration changes. There is a step by step Module Registrations Management Guide.
The following video provides an overview of using Module Registration Management. You will need to login using your Imperial username and password. To begin, click on Play.
Examination Entry Form Process
Frequently asked questions
Admissions MSc student programme change
We are aware that sometimes MSc students ask to swap between degree programmes at the end point of the admissions process. While the degrees are often similar the core modules are different. We are working with the Admissions team on the best timing to effect this change. Please keep a watchful eye on your student core module registrations and alert Student Records at email@example.com if student core module registrations are incorrect.
Module Registrations Report Filters
There is a Module Registrations Report which is available via ICA reporting. Navigate to Dashboards> Banner Interim> Registration, Progression and Outcomes> Module Registration tab. You will then be asked to filter by your criteria including Department, Study Level and Study Path Attempt Status (Enrolment status). Once you have entered these filters, please click on Apply. You will then able to do a subsequent filter by Term (located on the right hand side). Please ensure you complete the initial information first and click on Apply before moving the to the Term filter.
Server access error
If you are experiencing a server access error, please try using the Remote Desktop Gateway connection to connect to your College computer. This should give you access to Banner from another location. If this is not possible, please raise an ASK ticket with ICT.
HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error
If you see the 'HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error' or 'Undefined' issue when using the Module Registration Report, this is likely to be due to a timeout inactivity issue. Please clear your cache and cookies or switch use to another browser. We believe this issue is now fixed.
You are not eligible to register error
We’ve seen an issue for a small number of student registrations changes. If you login to the Select a Term screen following entering the password see the message ‘You are not eligible to register’ – please send the student CID directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the module registration you need to amend. We believe this error is now fixed.