Incident Management Group
PURPOSE AND REMIT
1. The Incident Management Group (IMG) is formed during an incident to provide operational response and direction during an incident that affects or may affect the ability of the College or part of the College to continue normal operations. Their remit may include, but is not limited to:
- Initiate actions to minimise harm to students, staff and visitors and ensure their safety, health and welfare.
- Provide direction to the College's response to an emergency.
- Stabilise and secure the incident.
- Liaise with the Communications and Public and Affairs division to manage all communications both internally and externally, including social media.
- Minimise any potential reputational damage to the College.
2. Should the emergency services be acting on site then they will manage the incident and the role of IMG is to assist the emergency services with information and services, as requested, whilst implementing strategic decisions on the deployment of College resources and pursuance of College activities.
3. A key role of IMG is agreeing internal communications to set the expectations of those affected by the incident.
4. IMG has the authority to deploy College resource as it sees fit to best manage an incident either on or affecting College property or interests. This includes the authority to close areas of the College as required; although this would normally only be done after consultation with the President Executive Group.
The Duty Communications Manager should be called early with a view to:
- Monitoring social media in order to obtain information as to the location, extent, spread and impact of the incident;
- Intervene as necessary to provide reassurance the incident is being addressed and correct any obvious misconceptions.
- Agree with the IMG leader the tactical communications required to manage the expectations of those affected by the incident. For example, advice to those affected on where to go, the extent, scale and likely duration of the disruption.
Should the incident involve the media and/or require communication with the wider College community and/or stakeholders then the President Executive Group (PEG) will be informed and the communications function will move to PEG. Communication with staff, students and the media will then be co-ordinated by the Communications and Public Affairs division, who will prepare materials in line with information provided by the IMG for PEG to consider and approve.
Typically communication with staff and students will be via the firstname.lastname@example.org email account, the College Home Page, alerts page and social media.
During an incident, the expectation is that it will be escalated as appropriate via Security or ICT or Estates Facilities help desks. If appropriate the IMG leader will call in their core team. If further support is required the IMG Leader will call in support from the wider IMG members as required.
IMG - Estates Facilities
- Senior Estates Manager.
- Duty Communications Manager.
- Estates Facilities core team as defined in the Estates Facilities Response Plan.
IMG - ICT
- ICT Major Incident Manager.
- Major Incident Technical Co-ordinator.
- Major Incident Business Co-ordinator.
- Business Service Owner.
- ICT core team as defined the Estates Facilities Response Plan.
- Duty Communications Manager.
The wider IMG will be called in to assist as required by the incident and is composed of senior representatives from:
- Estates Facilities.
- Human resources.
- Campus Services:
- Sport & Events.
- Faculties & Departments;
- Communications and Public Affairs.
- Imperial College Union.
- College Secretariat.
- Management Trainees.
- External Resources:
- Local Authority;
Additionally, previously nominated IMG leaders may also be called to lead IMG so Senior Estates Management and/or ICT Major Incident Manager may focus on their functional responsibilities. Nominated IMG Leaders are:
- Head of Business Continuity.
- Director of HR.
- Chief Information Officer.
IMG Control rooms
It may become necessary to establish a physical control room to accommodate the wider IMG, in which case one of the following IMG control rooms will be activated:
- The Boardroom, Level 4 Faculty Building.
- Room 1 & 2, Seminar and Learning Centre, Level 5, Sherfield.
- GABOR Hall Eastside.
- Room 213 and Refectory, Guy Scadding Building, NHLI, Royal Brompton Campus.
- Emergency Control Centre Silwood Park.
Each control room has a battle box that contains all the material necessary for IMG to operate. Locations, layout and battle box contents are at Appendix C.
IMG control rooms will be maintained by the Head of Business Continuity.
Call out procedure is at Appendix A.
If contacted by Security or a member of the College and requested to attend an IMG control room in response to an incident, the IMG member should advise how long it will take them to travel to the nominated control room.
Further advice on callout is at Appendix B.
ON ARRIVAL SET UP AND CONSIDERATIONS
The first members of IMG to arrive at the IMG control room will need to open the battle box, set up the room and begin to collate the information available. Set-up information, battle box locations, access codes and advice are at Appendix C.
The battle box is maintained by Alastair Lee who can be contacted on 020-7594-2090; email@example.com
The gathering, consideration and dissemination of information are essential to the functioning of IMG. Advice on the collection, collation, display and dissemination of information is at Appendix D. Additionally, it is a legal requirement that all logs, charts and means of displaying information are retained post-incident.
Advice on IMG’s initial considerations is at Appendix E.
FOLLOW ON CONSIDERATIONS
Advice on IMG’s follow on considerations is at Appendix F.
5. The battle box contains further advice on:
a. Useful phone numbers and other assistance available.
b. Activation of Call Centre to handle high volumes of incoming calls.
c. Assistance for students and staff in getting home, if separated from their money & tickets.
d. Implications of an incident on our neighbours and how to contact them.
e. Advice on relocating IMG Headquarters during an incident.
f. Blank Telephone Logs.
g. Building Hazards - separate folder.
h. Department Impact Analysis - separate folder.