Terms of Reference
• Oversight of the quality and efficacy of education and research;
• Development and retention of academic, research and professional staff; annual pay review and awards;
• Student experience and well-being;
• Health and safety;
• In-year financial performance and financial control;
• The submission of the Core College’s annual operational budgets and medium and longterm financial plans, including capital expenditure, to the President’s Board for consideration as part of the annual Planning Round.
• Reports on activities of the Faculties and academic support services.
- Provost, Professor Ian Walmsley
- Vice-Provost (Education), Professor Emma McCoy
- Vice-Provost (Research & Enterprise), Professor Mary Ryan
- Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Professor Nigel Brandon
- Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Professor Jonathan Weber
- Dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Professor Richard Craster
- Dean of the Imperial College Business School, Professor Francisco Veloso
- Associate Provost (Estates Planning), Professor Martyn Boutelle
- Vice President (International), Associate Provost (Academic Partnerships), Professor Maggie Dallman
- Acting Chief Financial Officer, Mr Tony Lawrence
- College Secretary, Grainne Brankin
- Director of Academic Services, Richard Martin
- Director of HR, Harbhajan Brar
- Assistant Provost (Equality, Diversity and Inclusion), Professor Stephen Curry
- Director of Enterprise, Dr Simon Hepworth
- Director of Communications, Zoe Paxton
- Monika Hockenhull (Secretary)
Other colleagues are invited for specific agenda items.
- College Research Committee
- Operations Committee
- Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Strategy Group
- Education Committee
- Sustainability Strategy Committee
The Provost and members of Provost’s Board are keen to make sure staff are aware of the discussions being held at Provost’s Board meetings. Since December 2017 a summary of the discussions and decisions taken at the Board has been produced and circulated to Heads of Departments and Divisions shortly after each meeting. The aim of the summaries is to inform colleagues across the community about the issues and topics that are discussed, and to help colleagues understand why particular decisions are taken. While certain matters (in particular those which involve personnel matters or which are commercially sensitive) are not appropriate for inclusion, the default position is that every matter discussed at the Board is included in the summary. Heads of Department also have an opportunity to raise questions about anything discussed at the Board at the weekly Heads of Department lunches.
Provost's Board summaries (where available) can be accessed by clicking the relevant meeting date below.
Provost's Board meeting dates
2021/22 meeting dates
|Meeting dates (click on date for meeting summary - internal only)||Paper deadlines (please send papers for consideration to Monika Hockenhull)|
|28 September 2021||17 September 2021|
|26 October 2021||15 October 2021|
|30 November 2021||19 November 2021|
|14 December 2021||3 December 2021|
|25 January 2022||14 January 2022|
|22 February 2022||11 February 2022|
|29 March 2022||18 March 2022|
|26 April 2022||15 April 2022|
|31 May 2022||20 May 2022|
|28 June 2022||17 June 2022|
|27 September 2022||16 September 2022|
|25 October 2022||14 October 2022|
|29 November 2022||18 November 2022|
|20 December 2022||9 December 2022|
2020/21 meeting dates
|Meeting dates (click on date for meeting summary - internal only)||Paper deadlines (please send papers for consideration to Harriet Whewell)|
|29 September 2020||18 September 2020|
|27 October 2020||16 October 2020|
|24 November 2020||13 November 2020|
|15 December 2020||4 December 2020|
|26 January 2021||15 January 2021|
|23 February 2021||12 February 2021|
|30 March 2021||19 March 2021|
|27 April 2021||16 April 2021|
|25 May 2021||14 May 2021|
|29 June 2021||18 June 2021|
|27 July 2021||16 July 2021|
2019/20 meeting dates
2018/19 meeting dates
Provost’s Board Paper Guidance
Please send papers for consideration to the Executive Office to the Provost 10 days before the meeting. View the Provost's Board meeting and paper submission dates.
To meet accessibility guidelines, we encourage papers to include the following:
- Consistent heading styles should be used to indicate grouping and add hierarchy to your content.
- All figures, tables, charts etc (including in appendices) are required to be clearly and consistently labelled.
- All link text must be clear, descriptive, and understandable without contextual content (do not use click here or include the URL).
- Please note, if required, it is the item lead's responsibility to ensure a fully accessible version of the paper submitted to Provost's Board is available on request.
- To ensure accessibility, papers can be checked against the College's guidance on publishing accessible documents. Additionally, the latest version of Office (365) has an accessibility checker that highlights issues and solutions. To access, click on the Review tab within the document and then click Check Accessibility.
Please ensure your paper adheres to the following guidelines:
- The Provost's Board Coversheet must be included.
- Your paper should be 3-4 pages in length. Any other material should be included as a separate appendix.
- Please ensure a member of Provost’s Board has approved the paper before submission.
For further guidance on papers, please contact the Executive Officer to the Provost - Monika Hockenhull (email@example.com).