Between April and June 2018, a number of training sessions were run by Leonie Power (Partner at Fieldfisher) in collaboration with the Central Secretariat to introduce staff to the principles of GDPR and the effects GDPR will have on Marketing and Research activities.
You can download the slides from these training sessions on the left hand side of this page.
Data Protection training is a mandatory requirement for all new staff and is strongly encouraged for existing staff of the College to undertake. It is also available and recommend for all students, especially those who will either be involved in the collation / processing of personal data whilst within the College or as part of their preparations for activities outside of the College to understand how data protection legislation will effect them.
Once you have completed the course and in order for your training to be validated, you will need to take a short online test (link available at the end of the course) with a mark of 75% or higher considered a pass
This course should be taken in conjunction with Records Management e-Learning course and Information Security Awareness e-Learning course.
To access the online course:
- Go to Blackboard Learn, enter your College username and password and click Login.
- Select the Courses tab in the top right corner of your screen, next to My Blackboard.
- Search for ‘Data Protection’ in the Course Search field to find the course information in the Course Catalogue.
- Click on the Data Protection Awareness - Course Name, select Enrol and then Submit to self-enrol on the course.
- Click OK to confirm enrolment.
- Click on the course link to start the Information Security Awareness course.
Step by step instructions
1. Go to Blackboard Learn, enter your College username and password and click Login. Ensure that your web browser (Firefox, IE, Chrome etc.) will allow popups and accept cookies from the Blackboard website.
2. Select the Courses tab in the top right corner of your screen, next to My Blackboard.
3. Search for Data Protection in the Course Search field to find the course information in the Course Catalogue.
4. Click on the Data Protection Awareness Course – Course Name, select Enrol and then Submit to self-enrol on the course.
5. Click OK to confirm enrolment.
6. Click on the course link to start the Information Security Awareness course.
Training for Information Asset Owners / Administartors
- Currently, training for Information Asset Owners has been discontinued due to the, soon to be, implemented Data Asset Registration Tool. Once the tool goes live however, training will be advertised and highlighted for all staff members -
This training is separate to the GDPR training sessions. It is in relation to the Information Asset Register and will cover the expectations on the Information Asset Owner role.
Dates will be routinely added and available to view via the GDPR and Information Governance Yammer page .
All staff should complete the Information Security Awareness Training, Records Management - e-Learning course and Freedom of Information Training.