Please also take a look at the student terms and conditions information on the Imperial College London website, which has more  important information that you will need to be aware of prior to becoming a student at Imperial.



Frequently asked questions regarding undegraduate courses and admissions

What undergraduate degree courses do you offer and how can I apply?

We award four undergraduate programs:

H401: Aeronautical Engineering (MEng)
H410: Aeronautical Engineering with a Year Abroad (MEng)
H415: Aeronautics with Spacecraft Engineering (MEng)
H420: Aeronautical Engineering with a Year in Industry (MEng)

All students must initially apply for the H401 MEng in Aeronautical Engineering.

All students follow a common programme of study for the first two years. After this, students on target to achieve a 1st by the end of the second year (for placements in the USA or Singapore), or a minimum of a 2:1 for placements in Europe, may apply to transfer to our Year Abroad stream. Students on target to achieve a minimum of a 2:1, who have organised a suitable industry placement, may transfer to our Year in Industry study stream.

All applications must be made via the UK government body UCAS. Further information can be found in the college How to Apply page.

Please note, we do not award a B.Eng.


 Useful information regarding applying for your ATAS certificate:

To apply for an ATAS certificate online, you will need your programme’s Common Aggregation Hierarchy (CAH) code and ‘descriptor’, as well as your university supervisor name. For this course, these are listed below as well as links to other information you may need.

For further guidance on obtaining an ATAS certificate please see the information on our International Student Support website as well as the ATAS FAQ . Please contact our International Student Support Team directly if you have any further queries regarding your ATAS at


What are the entry requirements?

We accept a wide range of academic qualifications from all over the world. An overview of requirements are:

  • A* grades in Mathematics and Physics plus a A grade in a third A2 level subject excluding General Studies. Further Maths is preferred as the third A level.
  • For students wanting to transfer to the H410 Year Abroad course, a minimum of grade B at GCSE in French or German is also required.
  • Note that a high level of secondary school Mathematics and Physics is mandatory. Further Mathematics is highly recommended but not mandatory for admission to, and success on, our courses.

Advanced Diploma

Imperial College has studied the proposed Advanced Engineering Diploma. It has decided that the present restriction on the Additional Specialist Learning element to the equivalent of 1.5A levels does not include sufficient academic content to enable Diploma holders to demonstrate that they can cope with the high academic content of our engineering courses.

An exceptionally highly motivated Diploma holder with outstanding characteristics could be considered, but the Advanced Engineering Diploma as currently defined is not regarded as providing a normal entry route to our engineering courses.

Over and above academic qualifications, we are looking for applicants who can demonstrate an enthusiasm and interest in Aeronautical Engineering and an awareness of its wide applicability in industrial and other fields.

We do not accept Foundation Course qualifications.

Indian high school qualifications

Indian high school qualifications are not generally accepted for admission to the College. However, a special case may be made for applicants who have, or expect to obtain, exceptionally high marks from either the Central or Metro examination boards.

What if my qualifications are not listed above?

If your high school or other qualifications are not listed above, advice on eligibility prior to application via UCAS is best sought from

What are the English language requirements?

College English language requirements apply to all courses; please read the College web page on English language requirements.

What are the fees?

Please check the College web page on undergraduate student fees for full details.

Your fee status will be assessed by the College once a UCAS application has been received but, if you are unsure about your fee status, preliminary guidance may be sought from Engineering Admissions Team 2.

Is any financial support available?

There are no Aeronautics Department scholarships or bursaries to support undergraduate study.

However, the Imperial Bursary is available to all Home undergraduates who are eligible for student funding from the Government.

Support is also available through Government funding options, including the Tuition Fee Loan (for Home and EU students) and Maintenance Loan (for Home students).

Can I arrange to visit the Department?

It is not possible to arrange individual visits for mainland UK applicants. However, if you decide to apply and you appear likely to meet our entry requirements you may be invited to one of a number of admissions days, held from November through to February. As well as an interview with a member of the academic staff, these events afford an excellent opportunity to tour the Department, its facilities, and the College.

Applicants from overseas who are unable to attend any of these events may be able to arrange to visit at a time more convenient to them by emailing

What does M.Eng. mean?

Master of Engineering.

All our courses are four-year, "first degree" courses in engineering. Along with a number of other top engineering institutions in the UK, we no longer offer a B.Eng. (three-year, Bachelor of Engineering) course.

What is the difference between the H401 and H410 courses?

All students initially apply to the H401 programme and follow a common programme for the first two years. Transfer to the H410, H411, and H420 programmes occurs at the end of the third year. Students wishing to complete a Year Abroad in France or Germany must demonstrate that they have achieved the required level of French or German language fluency at this point. Language classes are offered as part of the Horizons programme and can be taken for extra credit in the first two years of study or as an I-Explore module in year 3.

At the end of the third year, provided a sufficient standard in the appropriate language and at least an upper-second class standard in the first two years of their studies has been reached, H410 students study at an approved university in either France, Germany, Singapore or US. Exchange agreements exist with the Rheinisch-Westfalische Technische Hochschule  (Aachen, Germany), the Ecole Centrale de Lyon(France), the Ecole Nationale Superiure d'Ingenieurs de Constructions Aeronautiques  and the Ecole Nationale Superieure de l'Aeronautique et de l'Espace (both in Toulouse, France), the National University of Singapore (Singapore) and finally the University of California and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (both in the US). Students on H410 programme, completing their final year abroad will have to complete an individual research project, worth at least 30 ECTS credits, at the host institution whereas the H401 students undertake a year-long individual project at Imperial.

Where would I live?

All first year students who accept Imperial as their firm choice are guaranteed a place in College accommodation provided they're eligible and complete their application by the deadline.

Find out more about accommodation for prospective undergraduate students.



At the start of your first year, you will be issued an IPAD from the department. The IPADS are: 9.7-inch iPad Wi-Fi - 6th generation - tablet - 32 GB – 10.2" - space grey together with Apple pencil and a protective case. The IPADS will be used primarily as reading and note-taking devices and are not a substitute for a capable laptop for completing coursework. All IPADS will be managed centrally by the college ICT centre and will remain the property of the College.

What happens once I have applied?

Once we receive an application from UCAS we attempt to make a decision on it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, due to the number of applications, it is not possible for us to write to all unsuccessful applicants.

Based on the initial application we will select suitable applicants to proceed to the next stage. Please see our Admissions procedure section for further information.

Successful applicants will receive their offer as soon as possible thereafter.

What are the term dates?

The College operates a three-term academic year. Autumn term starts in the first week of October and lasts eleven weeks. Spring term starts after a three-week Christmas break and also lasts eleven weeks. Summer term lasts for nine weeks and follows a four-week (sometimes five-week) Easter break.

Full details can be found at the College term dates page.

The first day of term is normally stated as a Saturday, as this is when students living in College halls of residence can move into their room. The first day of teaching is always the following Monday.

Is it possible to transfer from my current University degree course?

Transfer into our second or third year is only permitted in exceptional circumstances and extremely rare (less than one student per year).

It is only possible for students studying at one of a few Aeronautical Engineering courses in the UK which follow a comparable syllabus, and the student will still be required to meet our entry requirements listed above. Such students must also have achieved a first-class standard so far.

Transfer into the fourth year is not possible under any circumstances.