Coffee & Coach 2021 programme
After the successful running of the 2020 London pilot, Coffee & Coach is now open to alumni worldwide. The online programme offers free coaching-style sessions to early-career alumni who graduated from Imperial within the last ten years and are seeking career-related support. We are offering this as part of the recent graduates’ programme and aim to support those who may not otherwise have access to career coaching opportunities.
Please note, applications have now closed for coaches for this round of Coffee & Coach.
Volunteer Role Description: Alumni coach, Coffee & Coach programme
The Coffee & Coach programme pairs two alumni, a recent graduate (coachee) and a more experienced alumnus (coach). Coaches will work with their coachee on a specific work or career-related challenge from July to November 2021.
Coaching is a 1-1 process that helps individuals think through their options in relation to a range of situations they may be facing in the workplace or in their career.
We are looking for experienced alumni who can draw from their personal and professional experience to help recent graduates with their career development. This is an online programme and no prior coaching experience is required.
This role would suit somebody who...
- has completed a degree at Imperial College London.
- has a minimum of 10 years working experience.
- has an interest in coaching.
- is willing to share their personal and professional experience to support and guide recent Imperial graduates with their career development.
- can commit to five one-hour sessions between July and November 2021.
- can attend the mandatory online training session on Wednesday 7 July, 18.00 – 20.00 (BST)
What are the benefits?
- (Re)connect with the College as a volunteer.
- Inspire and make a difference in the lives of fellow Imperial alumni.
- Support the College and share your professional experience and expertise.
- Develop transferrable coaching skills.
- Gain satisfaction from empowering recent graduates to improve their confidence, sense of direction, resilience and self-awareness.
What to expect
The Coffee & Coach programme pairs you with a recent grad (coachee) over a period of five months from July 2021. You can opt to have up to two coachees that you support separately. The coach and coachee are expected to schedule five one-hour sessions during this period and focus on one of the following coaching themes.
- Career transitions
- Confidence, influence and impact in the workplace
- Leadership and management
What are the expectations of a coach?
As a coach, you will support your coachee(s) in generating their own solutions and being accountable for their actions. You will also work with your coachee to help them find new ways to look at and resolve issues, and to develop skills and strategies so they feel empowered to take action.
You will use a combination of observation, questioning, listening and feedback techniques to have a coaching-style conversation that is rich in insight and learning for your coachee(s).
What training and support will be provided?
Before you start, you will receive training from an experienced and qualified coach. The training session will cover an introduction to coaching techniques and questions and equip you with the necessary skills to offer support and guidance to a recent graduate who has signed up to the programme.
You will also be connected with the other alumni volunteers on the programme.
Coffee & Coach runs for five months, from July to November. We expect coaches to have five one-hour sessions with their coachee(s) during this period. Coaches and coachees are expected to schedule their own meetings at a time convenient to them.
- 7 July – Mandatory online training session for coaches
- September – 1-hour mid-point check in call for coaches
- July to November – Five one-hour coaching sessions
How to apply
Please note that applications have now closed for this round of Coffee & Coach.