Mentoring scheme 2020-2021
Careers Service: Alumni Mentoring Scheme 2020-21
Volunteering as an alumni mentor
Imperial alumni go on to have all sorts of exciting and varied careers. When you’re still studying it’s not always clear what steps you will take after graduation.
Imperial College Careers Service is excited to be running the Alumni Mentoring Scheme, an initiative which aims to develop Imperial students’ knowledge of the professional workplace and potential careers.
The scheme promotes and supports a structured relationship between alumni and students, whereby alumni can share their professional experiences, personal insights and employability advice.
Volunteering requirements of the alumni mentoring scheme role
Applicants for this role will suit someone that
- has completed a degree at Imperial College London
- is willing to share their experience and answer questions about their job and career path
- is able to commit to a minimum of six interactions (in person or virtually) across ten months
- is willing to support and encourage present Imperial students to develop their professional skills.
The benefits of volunteering as an Imperial alumnus
- (Re)connect with the College as a volunteer.
- Inspire and make a difference in the lives of the next generation of Imperial graduates.
- Support the College and share your professional experience and learning with students.
- Develop transferrable mentoring and coaching skills.
- Gain satisfaction from helping motivated students to increase their confidence and progress with their career choices and ambitions.
More information about the alumni mentoring scheme
The Alumni Mentoring Scheme pairs you with a current student to help to develop their confidence and insight into job roles and work sectors. The scheme is aimed at continuing Imperial undergraduates (going into their 2nd, 3rd and 4th years of study) and PhD students across all degree disciplines. We give priority to students who have come to the College via our widening participation initiatives. The mentor role is intended to support and encourage students in understanding how best to use their time at Imperial to develop their professional skills, along with providing advice on preparing for the next stage in their career.
Before you start as a mentor you will be provided with our Guide to Mentoring which provides a detailed outline of the division of responsibilities within the mentor/mentee relationship, mentor/mentee expectations, logistics and an overview of support for mentors from the Careers Service. Mentors will also be invited to the Alumni Mentoring Scheme Induction Event to meet their Mentee, where both will receive a brief training session.
Time commitments and deadlines
The Mentoring Scheme runs for ten months, starting in May 2020 (runs until around March 2021).
We expect mentors to have a minimum of six interactions (either in person or virtually) with their student(s) during this period.
- March 2020
Applications for mentors close.
- April 2020
Matching process - mentors will receive confirmation if they have been assigned a mentee and invited to the Induction Event.
- May 2020
Official launch and Induction Event.
- May 2020 to March 2021
Mentoring partnership to take place.
Apply for this volunteering opportunity
Applications for the 2019/20 scheme have now closed, you will be registering for the 2020/21 scheme beginning in May 2020.