Women in Maths speaker scheme
Women in Maths speaker series: Alumni volunteering opportunity
About the scheme
The Women in Maths initiative began in 2016 and aims to inspire, promote, support and build a strong community of female mathematicians at Imperial. It is run by students in the Department who organise a variety of activities including research talks, career events and social lunches.
How can you contribute?
Imperial alumni go on to have all sorts of exciting and varied careers, but when you’re still studying it’s not always clear what steps you will take after graduation.
We want to encourage students to ask the right questions, learn about different career paths and understand how mathematics is used in different industries.
We are looking for alumni from a variety of industries to speak to students about their career and experience after graduating, offer advice and provide insights into different career paths. Hearing from alumni who have been in their shoes can help to provide the information and insights students need to make informed decisions, and inspire them to choose a career path that is fulfilling, and instils a sense of pride in their Imperial community and connections.
This volunteering opportunity would suit a female alumnus who
- has completed a degree in the Department of Mathematics at Imperial College London
- is enthusiastic about their time at Imperial and has utilised their degree and/or experience at the College to further their career
- is passionate about advocating for women in STEM
- is willing to share their experience and answer questions about their job and career path.
What are the benefits of volunteering at Imperial?
- (Re)connect with the College as a volunteer
- Inspire and make a difference in the lives of the next generation of Imperial graduates
- Support the personal and professional development of current maths students
- A chance to support the College and share your experience.
Expectations and requirements of volunteers for this role
You can expect to speak informally to a group of around 40 students for up to 35 minutes. This will be followed by an opportunity for students to ask questions and chat informally. The event is geared towards female maths students but all students from the Department are welcome to attend.
Time commitments volunteers would need to contribute
Date: Thursday 5 December, Thursday 6 February and Thursday 20 February.
Time: 13.00 - 14.00
Location: Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, SW7 2AZ
Lunch will be provided.
Apply for this volunteering role
You will be asked to select your preferred date(s) and we will be in touch to let you know if we can include you in the schedule.
If you have any questions or would like to speak to Maths students but cannot attend on a Thursday afternoon, or would like to propose a different event/workshop, contact Kellianne Bartley, Alumni Volunteer Officer.