Dr Haibao Liu
Dr. Haibao Liu is currently a Research Associate at Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College London. He received his PhD in Aerospace Engineering at Queen’s University Belfast (2018). During his PhD, he was closely working with his sponsor, Bombardier Aerospace, to develop a high-fidelity computational tool for predicting damage in composite laminates. His research interests are the fracture behaviour and impact performance of fibre reinforced composites for structural application. He is officially co-supervising three PhD students and involved in four research projects, which focus on the application of composite materials in aeronautical and marine structures.
- Mechanical characterisation of composite materials
- Fracture mechanics of engineering composites
- Impact response of laminated composites
- Numerical modelling of composite materials
Mobile: +44 (0) 7933240988
Last five-year publications
- Liu H, Liu J, Kaboglu C, Zhou J, Kong X, Blackman BRK, Kinloch AJ, Dear JP*. Experimental and numerical studies on the soft impact behaviour of thermoset and thermoplastic composites. Eng Fail Anal. (Accepted on 11/02/2020)
- Zhang X, Liu H, Maharaj C, Mohagheghian I, Zheng M, Zhang G, Yan Y, Dear JP. Impact Response of laminated glass with varying interlayer materials. Int J Impact Eng. (Accepted on 15/01/2020)
- Liu H, Liu J, Ding Y, Zhou J, Kong X, Harper LT, Blackman BRK, Falzon BG, Dear JP*. Modelling damage in fibre-reinforced thermoplastic composite laminates subjected to three-point bend loading. Compos Struct. 2020; 236: 111889.
- Ning X, Zhang X, Zheng M, Ge Y, Wang T, Liu H, Maharaj C, Dear JP, Yan Y*. Microstructure and Tensile Properties of Injection Molded Thermoplastic Polyurethane with Different Melt Temperatures. J Appl Polym Sci. (Accepted on 20/12/2019)
- Liu H, Liu J, Kaboglu C, Hui Chai, Kong X, Blackman BRK, Kinloch AJ, Dear JP*. Experimental investigations on the effects of projectile hardness on the impact response of fibre reinforced composite laminates. Int J Light Mater Manuf. (Accepted on 08/10/2019)
- Liu H, Falzon BG*, Dear JP. An experimental and numerical study on the crush behaviour of hybrid unidirectional/woven carbon-fibre reinforced composite laminates. Int J Mech Sci. 2019; 164: 105160.
- Liu J, Liu H, Kaboglu C, Kong X, Ding Y, Chai H, Blackman BRK, Kinloch AJ, Dear JP*. The impact performance of woven-fabric thermoplastic and thermoset composites subjected to high-velocity soft and hard impact loading. Appl Compos Mater. 2019; 11: 1-22.
- Liu H, Liu J, Kaboglu C, Chai H, Kong X, Blackman BRK, Kinloch AJ, Dear JP*. Experimental and numerical studies on the behaviour of fibre-reinforced composites subjected to soft impact loading. Procedia Struct Integri. 2019; 17: 992-1001.
- Kong X*, Zhou H, Zheng C, Liu H*, Wu W, Guan Z, Dear JP*. An experimental study on the mitigation effects of fine water mist on confined-blast loading and dynamic response of steel plates. Int J Impact Eng. 2019; 134: 103370.
- Liu H, Falzon BG, Li S, Tan W, Liu J, Chai H, Blackman BRK, Dear JP*. Compressive failure of woven fabric reinforced thermoplastic composites with an open-hole: an experimental and numerical study. Compos Struct. 2019; 213: 108–17.
- Rolfe E, Quinn R, Sancho A, Kaboglu C, Johnson A, Liu H, Hooper PA, Dear JP, Arora H*. Blast resilience of composite sandwich panels with hybrid glass-fibre and carbon-fibre skins. Multiscale Multidiscip Model Exp Des, 2018; 1: 197–210.
- Liu H, Falzon BG*, Catalanotti G, Tan W. An experimental method to determine the intralaminar tensile fracture toughness of high strength carbon-fibre reinforced composite laminates. Aeronau J. 2018; 122: 1352-1370.
- Liu H, Falzon BG*, Tan W. Experimental and numerical studies on the impact response of damage-tolerant hybrid unidirectional/woven carbon-fibre reinforced composite laminates. Compos Part B Eng. 2018; 136: 101-118.
- Liu H, Falzon BG*, Tan W. Predicting the Compression-After-Impact (CAI) strength of damage-tolerant hybrid unidirectional/woven carbon-fibre reinforced composite laminates. Compos Part A Appl Sci Manuf. 2018; 105: 189–202.
- Falzon BG*, Liu H, Tan W. Comment on A tensorial based progressive damage model for fibre reinforced polymers. Compos Struct, 2017; 176: 877–82.
- Tan W, Falzon BG*, Price M, Liu H. The role of material characterisation in the crush modelling of thermoplastic composite structures. Compos Struct, 2016; 153: 914–27.