Dr Wei Xiong
Z-pin is an effective through-thickness reinforcement technology in improving interlaminar toughness, suppressing delamination. The use of z-pins is currently limited to several high performance composite structures: most notably Formula One racing cars and F/A-18 E/F aircraft.
However, limited understanding of the mechanical performance of z-pinned structures with impact damages hinders the application of z-pinned composites. This research aims to investigate the influences of z-pins on the impact damage resistance and damage tolerance of composite structures.
- Aerospace Structures and Materials
- Laminate composites
- Interlaminar toughness
- 1998 –2002 B.Eng. in Engineering Mechanics
- 2002 –2005 M.E. in Composite Mechanics
- 2005 –2009 D.E. in Solid Mechanics
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering (Imperial College London)