Information for guardians
Why should my child attend?
- Studying in the UK is a great opportunity to improve your child’s English-speaking skills, which will benefit them throughout their life.
- With multiple nationalities in attendance, your child can network and make friends from across the world, which is invaluable for understanding different cultures.
- Imperial is ranked 7th in the world. You can give your child a taste of life at university and be confident that they are safe and secure.
Guardian information for the residential programme
Support and supervision
At Imperial, we take our responsibility to protect students from harm very seriously. Safeguarding during the Global Summer School programme is overseen by a Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Students are also assigned an Academic and Pastoral Mentor, who are current undergraduate students, for the duration of the programme. Mentors supervise students at all times, other than when they are in their rooms.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding online safety or supervision, we encourage you to get in contact with the Global Summer School team.
Staying in touch
Global Summer School is a fantastic developmental opportunity and students will have the chance to make plenty of new friends. However, it is very normal for students to feel some homesickness whilst living away from home. While most students find that homesickness is only temporary, mentors and staff members will be available at all times to discuss any worries or concerns.
We recommend that all students bring a mobile phone, appropriately insured, as this will be the most convenient way to stay in touch with family and friends at home.
Broadband internet is available on campus for students to stay in touch with you via email and video calling.
We advise students to not bring large amounts of money. We encourage students to bring a small amount of spending money for gifts and travel around London. Food and Drink will be provided and does not need to be budgeted for.
The safety of our Summer School students is of paramount importance to us and we provide a number of security measures, including:
- All halls of residence have a swipe card entry, Close Circuit Television (CCTV) and 24-hour manned security offices.
- A residential team of Pastoral Mentors provide round-the-clock support and supervision in halls of residences.
- Global Summer School staff and mentors provide supervision on all organised trips and excursions.
Summer School students will be chaperoned by our Pastoral Mentors for all social activities to ensure the safety and comfort of the whole group while exploring London and other parts of the UK. Pastoral Mentors stay in campus accommodation alongside students to provide 24-hour support.