Travel and packing information
Please note that there are no accommodation facilities available for students who arrive or depart outside the programme dates. If you plan to extend your stay in London, you will need to book alternative hotel accommodation. This is not supervised by Global Summer School staff and is at your own expense.
Our campus is located in South Kensington, central London, and is easily accessible by public transport.
Heathrow and Gatwick Airport pick-up service
If you are travelling from overseas, we will operate an airport pickup and drop off service from Heathrow and Gatwick Airports on the first and last day of the programme. If you would like to use this service, please ensure that you have completed the airport arrivals and departure form, as this must be arranged in advance. Please note the form will be available closer to the programme.
We recommend flying to Heathrow Airport where possible. Heathrow is closer to campus and will reduce transfer times. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer a pick-up service from other London airports and students will need to make their own way to campus.
Airport pick up service
The Global Summer School team will be stationed at Heathrow and Gatwick Airports on the first day of the programme (4 July or 8 August).
We would advise you to book a flight which lands between 07.00 – 15.00. If you are unable to arrange a flight that lands during these times, please contact the team as soon as possible for further guidance. Late notifications will make it difficult to arrange someone to meet you outside of those hours at the airport.
Full instructions of where to meet the team will be available soon.
Students should arrange to leave on the final Saturday of the programme and we recommend that you book a flight due to depart from 12.00 onwards. An airport drop-off service will run from 08.30 – 12.30 and you will be assigned a shuttle time based on your flight time.
You should avoid booking flights that leave the UK at very unsociable hours where possible. If this is unavoidable, please contact the team for advice.
The nearest underground station is South Kensington which is served by the District, Circle and Piccadilly lines. From South Kensington station, the campus is a ten-minute walk. The campus is signposted along the walkway and is next to the Science Museum. You can plan your route with the Transport for London journey planner.
Car Parking in South Kensington is severely restricted, and you are advised not to drive unless you have arranged this with us.
Short stay street parking around campus is available on a pay and display basis.
London City Airport
Take the DLR to Canning Town, then change to the underground and take the Jubilee line to Green Park and Piccadilly line to South Kensington.
Journey time: 40 minutes
To make your time in London as comfortable as possible, we recommend packing the following items:
- Passport and visa documents, including photocopies - stored in your checked luggage
- Any COVID related documents required
International plug adapter
Laptop (not essential)
Chargers (mobile phone, laptop etc)
- Mobile phone and sim card compatible for use in the UK
- Writing equipment – pens, pencils, notebook
- Casual clothing, comfortable shoes and clothes
- Imperial College does not insist on any particular dress for its students, except where there are health and safety or security concerns, or where a placement requires a uniform or protective clothing to be worn. For students with lab work/activities Health and safety requirements may mean that for certain tasks specific items of clothing such as overalls, face masks, protective clothing, etc must be worn. Please ensure you bring covered shoes, trousers or an appropriate alternative.
- Sports kit: trainers, swimming kit(including sandals), sports clothing
- Formal/Smart clothes for the final celebration event. You are welcome to wear your traditional/cultural outfit of your choice for this event
- Waterproof coat
- If you are participating in the talent show, please bring your chosen instrument
- Personal toiletries including sun cream
- Money for snacks and souvenirs. We advise students to not bring a lot of cash, we have ATM's around campus where you can withdraw cash when needed.
- Reusable water bottle