Year 11 Medical Summer School
This summer school gives you the chance to experience what it is like to study at medical school and explore medicine as a future career.
At a glance
- 10-13 August 2021
- For year 11 students
- Applications are now closed - we will let you know if your application was successful through our application portal by 23.59 on 28 April 2021
Please be aware that due to COVID-19, all our programmes and summer schools 2021 are currently running through our dedicated online platforms. Our first priority remains the safety and well-being of our staff, students and programme participants.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and will continue to do the best we can to safely support all of our programme participants.
Please join our mailing list or check back here for updates.
About Medical Summer School
What to expect
Students will spend four days learning about what it takes to become a doctor through talks, workshops and practical activities. There will be sessions on a variety of specialisms within medicine as well as support for preparing a strong application to medical school.
Students will also have the chance to experience broader university life through a series of social activities and time to relax with other participants and undergraduate mentors.
For this programme, you should:
- Expect to study science and maths in your post-16 studies
- Be studying at least eight GCSEs (or equivalent)
- Be on track to achieve a minimum of five GCSEs at grades 7-9, including maths and sciences
- Be on track to achieve a minimum of a grade 5 in GCSE English Language
This programme is funded by Imperial College London. It aims to support students from backgrounds under-represented in higher education. We are looking for applicants who meet the following criteria. The more of these criteria that you meet, the more likely you are to secure a place.
- You are entitled to receive free school meals or pupil premium
- Your family income is below £50,000/year
- Your parents/ guardians do not have a university degree•
- You have been in care or are a young carer*
- You are studying in a school in the UK that has below average attainment or with a high percentage of students receiving free school meals
- You live in a neighbourhood with low overall progression rates to higher education (we use ACORN and POLAR3 data to assess this)
* A young carer is someone under 18 years of age who helps look after a relative who has a condition such as a disability, long term illness, mental health condition, or a drug or alcohol dependency. They do extra jobs in and around the home, such as cooking, cleaning, or helping someone to get dressed and move around.
Please note that this summer school is part of a national programme of summer schools supported by the Medical Schools Council. Students who have already attended an MSC summer school are not eligible to attend a second MSC summer school. Links to the ofther summer schools can be found on the Medical Schools Council website.
Good luck with your application!
How to apply
Applications are now closed.
All applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by 23.59 on 28 April 2021.
For information about the application process, please see our application FAQs.
For more information, please see our Outreach Programme FAQs.
If your query is not answered in the FAQs, please email us via email@example.com or phone +44 (0) 20 7594 7328.
Want to stay up to date with Imperial outreach events? Click on the links below to follow us on our social media sites and follow the hashtag, #icoutreach