Artist open call
How to apply
Please fill in the application form below where you will be asked about your creative practice and experience as well as the types of collaborations and research topics you are interested in. At the end form you will be able to upload or provide links to your portfolio and further examples of your work.
Apply now by 21 August
We are looking to make new connections with creatives and artists who are interested in collaborating with our academics and researchers on art-science projects that engage the public in cutting-edge research.
Applications will close at midnight on Friday 21 August.
Imperial College London is a leading London-based university that focuses its research and teaching exclusively on science, technology, medicine and business. This open call is run by the societal engagement team at Imperial - we play a central role at the College supporting our researchers to share the wonder and importance of what they do and empower others. We do this by delivering a lively public programme that brings public audiences together with our Imperial community to discover and discuss latest research.
We’re looking to make new connections with creatives who share our passion for engaging wider audiences with science, technology, engineering, maths, and business. If you are excited by the idea of collaborating with our researchers to produce creative outputs for public audiences, we’d love to hear from you. Interested creatives will be added to a central database and will be notified when relevant projects and opportunities arise.
Opportunities for creatives
We are looking for creatives to collaborate with our academics to develop and deliver projects that spark dialogue and facilitate sharing with public audiences, in both physical and digital spaces. These projects can range from the development of small workshops through to larger projects such as production of a theatre performance. Further potential examples include, but are not limited to:
- Activities, workshops, games and play
- Performance: music, dance, theatre, comedy etc.
- Poetry, creative writing, etc.
- Digital or physical art pieces
- Film and photography
- Installations, sculpture and mini exhibitions
- Immersive experiences
The outputs from these collaborations could feature in several of our public programmes, including: Imperial Lates, Great Exhibition Road Festival, our public programme at White City, Youth (aged 13-19) engagement programmes and longer projects like residencies. Examples of past collaborations include:
- Measurement and Uncertainty: giant pendulum experiment by Geraldine Cox and Imperial’s Cold Matter Physics team
- Mrs X: short drama with audience discussion that explored antimicrobial resistance written by Nicola Baldwin and directed by Nigel Townsend
- Dan the poet is currently our poet in residence working with researchers on word-based creative pieces
Who can apply?
UK-based creatives and artists. We are looking to make connections with a wide range of disciplines, including, but not limited to:
- Craft workshop developers and deliverers
- Creative writers, poets and comedians
- Musicians and audio producers
- Digital, visual, and performance artists and teachers
- Photographers and filmmakers
- Theatre producers
- Broad or specific interests in science, technology, maths and/or engineering (STEM) and business topics
- Producing outputs that spark dialogue between artists / scientists and the public
- Working collaboratively with academic researchers
What budget is available?
These projects are paid opportunities and payment rate will be agreed with the creative dependent on their professional experience.
How to apply
Please fill the application form below where you will be asked about your creative practice, experience, and the types of collaborations and research topics that you are interested in. At the end form you will be given the opportunity to upload or provide links to your portfolio and further examples of your work.
We will keep all applications on a central database and will contact you directly as an when relevant opportunities arise. If you have any questions, please get in contact with us on email@example.com