Masterclass 5: Engagement with Controversial Issues
Trainer: Societal Engagement team
Cost: Internal - no charge; External - not available.
This course is available to Imperial staff only.
Dates and venue information:
- Tuesday 7 December 2021, 14:00-16.30, Teams online
- Thursday 9 June 2022, 14:00-16.30, South Kensington Campus
If you have any questions, please contact the Societal Engagement team.
This is session 5 of 6 masterclasses. This masterclass will allow you to build on your learnings from the core masterclasses by putting your ideas into practice.
Key areas covered
- Share experiences of communicating with the public around controversial, complex or emotive areas of research
- Workshop practical tips for engaging with a range of perspectives in relation to controversial issues
- Discuss the importance of public engagement within these areas of research and the benefits of open conversation around these topics
- Consider how to engage the public with the research process and stimulate discussion around the role of evidence
Who is it for?
This masterclass is aimed at any Imperial staff member who:
- Has attended the core engagement masterclasses
- Is looking to build their confidence in engaging the public with controversial issues such as climate science, nuclear energy, or animal research.
- Would like to share practical tips on how to effectively engage members of the public with emotive and complex issues
- Is interested in developing ideas for new activities for engagement with controversial issues
*Please note that engagement activities that may support teaching and learning practice can be used to support an application for HEA fellowship via Imperial’s STAR framework.
How to book your place
This course is free, but please see the terms and conditions of booking on the Qualtrics form. Places are limited and will be booked on a first come first served basis with a waiting list.
If you have any queries please email email@example.com.