Masterclass 8: Participatory Research
- Trainer: Societal Engagement Team
Cost: Internal - no charge; External - not available.
This course is available to Imperial staff and doctoral students only.
This course is scheduled to take place in February 2024. Further details to follow soon.
If you have any questions, please contact the Societal Engagement team.
This masterclass will allow you to build on your learnings from the core masterclass and explore a participatory research approach to your engagement.
Key areas covered
- Discuss participatory research and the breadth of approaches and outcomes
- Explore opportunities in the research cycle where a participatory research approach can be adopted and the advantages of doing so (for the participants, the research and the researchers)
- Experience a number of facilitation techniques which can be used in participatory workshops.
- Identify the preparation and considerations required when developing a participatory research approach, especially focusing on the ethics of participatory research (power dynamics, ownership, remuneration).
Who is it for?
This masterclass is aimed at any Imperial staff member or doctoral student who:
- Has attended the core engagement masterclass or similar training through the Graduate School
- Is interested in exploring the benefits of a participatory research approach
- Would like to better understand when a participatory research approach is appropriate
*Please note that engagement activities that may support teaching and learning practice can be used to support an application for HEA fellowship via Imperial’s STAR framework.
How to book your place
This course is free, but please see the terms and conditions of booking on the Qualtrics form. Places are limited and will be booked on a first come first served basis with a waiting list.
If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This session will be held in-person on our South Kensington campus. If you are unable to attend in-person or would like to explore the options for training at an alternative campus, please contact us email@example.com so that we can assess demand and discuss your needs.