Pathways to Medicine
Coronavirus (COVID 19)
Due to the changing situation with COVID-19 we have decided to cancel events with schools and school children until April 20th. Since we won’t be carrying out face to face teaching we would not be able to guarantee having sufficient student mentors to supervise our face-to-face programmes. Our first priority is the well-being of our staff, students and visitors. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Please contact the programme manager / Imperial visitor if you have any questions or concerns and check the website for updated information.
This three-year programme is for highly motivated state school students from low and middle-income homes who have the academic potential to achieve the grades for medical school.
It aims to provide them with subject-specific support and guidance as they take their first steps towards a medical career.
What does Pathways to Medicine involve?
Pathways to Medicine consists of activities that run throughout Years 11, 12 and 13 to help prospective students make a strong and informed application to study medicine at university.
- informative talks by admissions tutors and medical students at Imperial
- ementoring with a current Imperial medical student
- a summer school at the College during year two of the programme
- preparation sessions for medical school entrance exams and interviews
All Pathways to Medicine students are also guaranteed work experience in a healthcare setting.
Who can apply?
Registration is only open to students who:
- Are in Y11 at time of application
- Live and attend school within the M25 (and able to travel to South Kensington campus)
- Are studying currently studying at a non-fee paying secondary school and intend to study at a non-fee paying sixth form or college for Key Stage 5
- Are able to provide contact details for a teacher who can provide references for applicants from your school
- Meet the academic requirements (pdf).
For our full eligibility criteria and information on how we select participants, please see our Eligibility Criteria 2020.
Application dates for 2019/20
Applications for the 2019–20 academic year will open on 7 January 2020 and close at 23:59 on 4 February 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.
The reference deadline for parents/guardians and teachers is 11 February 2020.
We expect to inform applicants of the outcome of their application on 3 March 2020. The welcome event will be held on 20 March 2020. All successful applicants will be expected to attend.
Who is the programme run by?
The programme is delivered by Imperial in partnership with the Sutton Trust, Health Education England and the Medical Schools Council.
It is also supported by Vision – a student-run medical society in Imperial College Union, which aims to widen participation in medicine. Students from the society provide ongoing mentoring support to Pathways to Medicine participants, as well as organising events that give the students an idea of what it is like to study medicine at university.